No More 2-Strokes

Elton

I was just flicking through a Mailspeed Marine brochure and it says inside:

"New environmental restrictions being introduced in 2007 will end production of all 2 stroke outboard engines."

Is this correct?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just flicking through a Mailspeed Marine brochure and it says inside:

"New environmental restrictions being introduced in 2007 will end production of all 2 stroke outboard engines."

Is this correct?

They are going to stop making them, but they arent going to be banned yet. I am not sure if this is just in the UK or the USA... im sure someone knows more.

There has been, and still is a lot of serious misinformation concerning the new EU 2006 emission regulations. Firstly, these are the ONLY regulations that affect recreational outboards sold in the UK and the rest of the EU. Contrary to popular belief, ALL outboard motors in use prior to the implementation of the new standard CAN continue to be used until they fall apart! The new directive does NOT BAN use of conventional 2-STROKES. Used outboards will still be able to be sold in the normal manner. Regarding the sale of NEW outboard motors, only spark ignition four stroke, new technology (Direct Injection) spark ignition two stroke and compression ignition engines will be capable of meeting the proposed standards. Spark ignition means all engines powered by petrol / gas, whilst compression ignition means engines powered by diesel. It has always been possible that an authority in charge of a particular area may impose their own local regulations. This applies primarily on inland waterways, and is most common on reservoirs, which often ban all engines except electric. So to reiterate, EVERY outboard motor in use prior to the implementation of the new standard CAN continue to be used under the EU 2006 emissions directive.

[source - http://www.outboards-direct.co.uk/awp-pro/...velst.asp?rip=2]

hth

All legislation of this sort are lead by the americans and their Enviromental Protection Act. Particularly the Californian act which are the toughest regulations as regards emissions anywhere in the world.

There have been moves to try and ban 2 strokes but the new EFI engines are claimed to use less oil over a 100 hr running period than an equivalent four stroke and also be more economical. (Evinrudes ( I think) make this claim)

If they do ban the production of 2 strokes it would take decades for this to move to have any effect on the boating world as it is not unusual for boats to be running very old engines. Hopefully a by product would also be that the competition would be fierce to produce the best 4 stroke and should drive down the prices by breaking Honda's currently market leader status.

Heres hoping it happens :yeah:

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

How ironic that the Americans are the ones who have refused to sign climate change pledges seeing as they do seem to take action on a lot of environmental issues fairly rapidly (in some areas... in others [ie their lovely cars] they seem to be physically incapable of doing anything!).

The EU is the main driving force in the world in terms of environmental change, but the consequences of member states not complying are not enough of a disincentive to make much progress.

I agree that better 4-strokes cannot be a bad thing, but am not sure that Honda have the monopoly on the market just now, considering the popularity of suzuki, mariner and the likes. That is in the UK anyway.

Not before time. Two stroke engines have no more place on water than on roads. They can't be justified just on the grounds that they are easier to lift out of a car boot and carry to your boat! Bigger ones have even less place in the modern world. Apart from anything else two strokes are just so damned unreliable compared to a modern four stroke engine.

A common claim made in the USA is that two stroke PWC's (jet skis) put 25 to 30% of their fuel unburned straight into the water and they use several gallons of the stuff an hour. Even if this is a 100% overestimate the things should be banned, since there are four stroke versions that put out 160bhp, which I would have thought was enough power for even the least well endowed user of these cursed devices.

It's not just outboards but generators as well. This is why we have a glut of cheap 2 stoke generators at the moment.

Not to forget 2 stroke, motorcycles, chain saws, hedge trimmers, strimmers and lawn mowers. They are all for the chop.

Not before time. Two stroke engines have no more place on water than on roads. They can't be justified just on the grounds that they are easier to lift out of a car boot and carry to your boat! Bigger ones have even less place in the modern world. Apart from anything else two strokes are just so damned unreliable compared to a modern four stroke engine.

don't know where you get that notion from. every one i know with a 4 stroke has had lots of reliability problems.

look around the harbours and a good guide is the commercial boats as they are all 2 stroke's, even new ones.

i have an evinrude and its more economical than a 4 stroke and as for oil well its used approx 2 litres in 18 months. i'm out most weekends as well....

There is no way they can ban strimmers and chainsaws etc untill there is an altenative. One of the fundamental differences is that 4 strokes need oil in a sump and therefore can not be run at odd angles and upside down. The reason we have a glut of cheep genies atm is because of the open market policy with china. This is across the board as far as tools of any description are concerned.

It would seem that nothing will change if what sandtigger wrote is correct. All that is happening is they are tightening up the rules as to the fuel and emissions efficiency of NEW engines on PCW, which can only benifit all owners as the running costs will be lower.

I wonder when they will bring out a gas conversion for outboards as the emissions will be far lower using that. I know a lot of competition ski boats run on gas but they are all inboards.

Dale...I read the literature on the Evinrude two strokes and they claim that the oil used is less than that required for a 100 hr oil change in an equivalent 4 stroke.

Dave

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org