No More 2-Strokes

Elton

If I remember correctly, the problem with two-strokes isn't particularly the total loss lubrication, rather that the intake and exhaust ports are open at the same time leading to unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust. I think there were some advanced lean-burn two-stroke engines nearly ready for the automotive market which were killed off by the catalyst legislation. If this new legislation merely sets standards that existing two-strokes cannot meet (rather than outlawing two-strokes per se) it's possible that the manufacturers will find ways of meeting the requirements.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just outboards but generators as well. This is why we have a glut of cheap 2 stoke generators at the moment.

Not to forget 2 stroke, motorcycles, chain saws, hedge trimmers, strimmers and lawn mowers. They are all for the chop.

No its got nothing to do with motorcycles, chain saws, hedge trimmers, strimmers and lawn mowers. These new regs apply to pleasure craft engines.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

No its got nothing to do with motorcycles, chain saws, hedge trimmers, strimmers and lawn mowers. These new regs apply to pleasure craft engines.

I know we are talking about Pleasure Craft Regulations here, but there is much more in the pipeline. It seems the strimmer and chainsaw has a reprieve.

From todays Telegraph.

MEPs hedge on chainsaws

FOLLOWING my report last week that the European Parliament appeared to be about to approve a regulation banning chainsaws ("The Strasbourg chainsaw massacre"), MEPs narrowly backed a last-minute amendment moved by the Tory MEP Robert Goodwill, exempting chainsaws and strimmers. However the MEPS, including the Tories, did approve the rest of the regulation, which leaves the Parliament, the Council of Ministers and the European Commission all now supporting different proposals.

The purpose of this measure is not, as I implied last week, to prevent destruction of the ozone layer. It is to reduce emissions of gases known as "ozone precursors", which in certain cities such as Los Angeles contribute to photochemical smog. Despite the exclusion of chainsaws, how a ban on two-stroke engines across the EU will help with a specifically local, urban problem is something not even Tory MEPs can explain.

Ive got a newish honda 4 stroke 5hp, best thing I ever bought! so quiet for trolling too and no toxic fumes wafting about (least none I can smell!)

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Just read a report in a mag the Dentists surgery (ouch!) which said that the new 2 stroke Evinrudes actually use less oil in their life than 4 strokes, although 4 strokes can be recycled and 2 strokes is burnt. But interestingly 2 strokes produce considerably less CO than 4 strokes at low revs (ie trolling speeds). But I'm still a 4 stroke convert!

dan

Edited by Dan

Just read a report in a mag the Dentists surgery (ouch!) which said that the new 2 stroke Evinrudes actually use less oil in their life than 4 strokes, although 4 strokes can be recycled and 2 strokes is burnt. But interestingly 2 strokes produce considerably less CO than 4 strokes at low revs (ie trolling speeds). But I'm still a 4 stroke convert!

dan

Yes the Evinrudes use hardly any oil, but only if you use their XD100 synthetic oil.

And that costs me 50 euros for 3 1/2 litres :headhurt:

Yes the Evinrudes use hardly any oil, but only if you use their XD100 synthetic oil.

And that costs me 50 euros for 3 1/2 litres :headhurt:

Ouch!

Guest muttley
don't know where you get that notion from. every one i know with a 4 stroke has had lots of reliability problems.

look around the harbours and a good guide is the commercial boats as they are all 2 stroke's, even new ones.

i have an evinrude and its more economical than a 4 stroke and as for oil well its used approx 2 litres in 18 months. i'm out most weekends as well....

There is no way as long as there is a hole in my ass that a 2 stroke is more economical than my 4 stroke merc 60 EFI.....Would meet you with 5 gallons and prove it anytime :blink:

I'm pretty fond of my Yamaha 2 stroke, looking at the fuel usage figures posted the other week she's not too juicy either.

I think environmentally there's much more important things to concentrate on than banning the humble 2 stroke outboard. No doubt another case of the powers that be making a mountain out of a molehill to demostrate how 'caring' they are at a time when the market is voluntarily switching over to 4 stroke power anyway.

Mats (muttley) Merc 60 four stroke is so economical, we did 35 miles for 3.5 gallons on saturday. On other days we have got 55 miles for 5 gallons I dont think elderly 2 strokes can touch modern four stroke engins.

However from what I have read and been told the altra modern two strokes are catching up fast.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!