Sod's law :(

Davy Holt

I just spent a weekend up at the boat, Sat & Sunday was working on her changing the anchor and glassing a new one in.

I also managed to get a few other bit's n pieces done then it was out on Sunday to get bait.. only someone forgot to tell the Mackerel by 6pm I still had to catch my first mackerel of the day and time was running out fast. Given that I needed to get at least 30 for our bait for Monday & Tuesday I called in some reinforcements in the shape of one of the local kids. We slowly started to fine the odd fish and managed to end up with 30 bait sized mackerel.

On Monday despite a very strong Southerly wind I managed to get anchored on one of my skate marks and we settled down to a bumpy day's fishing, not the ideal conditions for skate fishing or filming. First up was the obligatory couple of doggies on the light rods then we gave up with them as it was getting a bit much looking after the light rods and the heavy gear. After about 1hr we started to get interest in the baits from small congers and after 3 or 4 dropped fish we finally managed to boat a nice clean 15lber. after that the bites dried up for about 20 min then we had a screaming run on the right hand rod which I think was a skate swimming into the line then 10 min later the same on the next rod, then again on the third rod. I was just about to pull up the end rod to check the bait when it got the classic thump thump of a skate on the tip. After a very eventful fight, I had to untie the anchor as we were now dragging it right in towards a wreck and use the boats engines to persuade the skate to move away from the wreck also. 1hr 15min later we had the fish in the boat, a cracking female of 188lb (on the old charts) (196lb on the new charts)

Today we couldn't get anchored up due the the wind so opted for a drift along the rocks, this produced a few small Ling, Cuckoo Wrasse and Pollack before packing up around 1pm.

When I had the boat back on the mooring, I was checking everything over before leaving her and found that both gearboxes had almost no oil in them :(

It looks like the seal on the drive shaft has went on both boxes, letting oil pour out the box into the bell housings. So now I have the job of beaching the boat, lifting out both engines & gearboxes and fingers crossed get the boxes repaired rather quickly.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boats can be a bloody nightmare tell me about it.

Yup they are that.. you think with 2 engines you are pretty safe.. just as well I had packed in when I did today or it could have been a lot worse .

The ironic thin is on Saturday night I rescued a Yacht for the coastguard and towed him 5 miles back to Lochaline.. the reason for the rescue.. gearbox failure :(

Davy

Hope your repairs are inexpensive ones Davy. Got the midge repellant,just need a boat now :) Just giz a shout when the game is on mate, cheers :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hope your repairs are inexpensive ones Davy. Got the midge repellant,just need a boat now :) Just giz a shout when the game is on mate, cheers :)

You'll be the first to know when she is back in the water :)

Davy

You sod Davy!!

You`re determined to keep me skateless this year. If you don`t watch out, I`ll move in next door to you!! :blink:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Kind of puts my repairs into perspective. Lifting out engines does not sound like a fun job :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hiya,

Lifting out engines does not sound like a fun job :(

It's actually not too bad a job to lift the complete unit out and normally takes around an hour and a half to do. Due to the lack of space around the engine it's easier to lift the whole lot out complete than to attempt to remove the gear box while it's in place. It's the putting it back in that's the fun part... not :)

Paul.. don't worry mate.. the big girls will be waiting for you :)

David.. thanks for the offer of help, I'll keep you in mind if I need some :)

Davy