Rising sea levels and global warming

kentangler

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Burrett:

Haven't they discovered that the elledged Bermuda triangle disasters are caused by Methane gas escaping in huge bubbles; the ships fall through the bubble and get swamped.

I seem to remember that a semi-sub drilling rig sank off Canada when it punched through into a gas a huge gas pocket or something. Back in the 70's maybe?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

You do not have to wait for the sea to freeze.

Just make up a reasonably strong salt solution and place it in the deep freeze.

Allow to partly freeze and pour into a collander.

Collect the liquid that strains through and taste, it will be a lot saltier than the original solution.

Allow the ice to melt and taste the water, it will only be faintly salty and this is accounted for by surface contamination and occluded salt water etc.

One can do the same thing with wine, pure ice freezes out leaving a stronger, more coloured and flavoured liquid.

Not that I would encourage you to do such a thing as it may be illegal where you live!

[ 04. February 2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=238

"Researchers have found a new and potentially devastating danger from the huge volumes of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced by industry and transport, already threatening the planet with climate change.

Now, they warn, it is also rapidly turning the world's oceans acid as it is dissolved in seawater, and putting an enormous array of marine life at risk. Ocean acidification may wipe out much of the microscopic plankton at the base of the marine food web, and have a knock-on fatal effect up through shellfish to major human food species such as cod."

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon Roskilly:

It's the middle of Summer in Australia - Hot & Dry?

"Melbourne recorded its heaviest rainfall since records began in 1856,

Yes, saw the report and 'phoned my in-laws, who live on t'other side of the Bass Strait on the N Tasmania coast, to check how they fared. They said they have not seen any rain for months.

Although very heavy, such storms tend to be quite localised.

Its very different up at the Top End in the "Wet"

[ 04. February 2005, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Jaffa,

Sadly it's happened to quite a few rigs. I've seen the remains of one offshore Angola, on a sunny day with clear water you can still see the top of the rig from a chopper. Usually though its regular gas in shallow reservoirs that 'leak' due to drilling rather than disturbed hydrates. However, hydrates are a significant hazzard in deep water drilling, especially in the Gulf of Mexico.

Vagabond:

quote:

Yes, saw the report and 'phoned my in-laws, who live on t'other side of the Bass Strait on the N Tasmania coast, to check how they fared. They said they have not seen any rain for months.

Its very different up at the Top End in the "Wet" [/QB]

When I lived in Melbourne we had a sudden downpour at the end of the working day.

Being mid-summer and humid, and just after 5pm, all the streets were filled with young city ladies in skimpy dresses etc, making their way to the trams and stations when the heavens opened.

Best 'wet T-shirt' show I've ever seen :D:D:D

As my boss drove me home in the Falcon 'ute, we found the road flooded, and he attempted to drive through.

I become a bit worried when it was obvious that the 'ute was floating and heading off the road down a side street sideways!!

Yes, I know all about 'the wet', having lived in Cairns!

We had an extreme wet when I lived there, and ended up swimming to the pub!

Being a leading light in the Cairns Folk & Jazz Club then, I wrote a talking blues ....

Just arrived in the town of Cairns

Went to a coffee bar and sat me down

(The Purple Onion it's called)

Met a girl about five foot two

He eyes were fair, her hair was blue (?)

Kinda weird looking

One of them thar hippies.

Took her back to my place

Started to rain

Started to pour

They call it THE WET!

Wet?

I was in trouble

Deep trouble

I can't swim!

(Can't remember how it went after that .... I think it just got worse!)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Vagabond:

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

[qb]

Both Sydney and Melbourne were affected by this one.

It takes an overnight train journey to travel between the two (600 miles if I remember)

'localised' has a different meaning in a country the size of Australia!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Sorry about not replying on this one sooner.

Hello Ken yes the prospect of fishing from the bedroom has some appeal. I could then use downstairs as a large fish tank to keep my catch in so food will not be an issue. I work from home so no need to go out apart from the local shop (Who is 1ft lower than me) or pub (About the same level) so shopping or popping down the pub will be fun. Does any one know about the drink dinghy rowing laws as opposed to drink driving.

Yes people are still buying houses in places like this. The highest tide I ever saw here was 18 years ago and the flooding of January (The shop) was produced by a highish tide and wind strength and direction.

I am not saying weather patterns are not changing and there is ample proof of this with changes in fish movements etc but I am not worried just yet. Just looking forwards to the first Bass caught around the Northern isles of Orkney and hoping I will be the one to catch it.

Bob