My Own Concerns

sam-cox

These are just my thoughts and please feel free to challenge me on this. I sometimes get the feeling that once you get closely involved in these issues you almost go native and loose that radical confrontational edge. for angling represenatatives it must be really difficult "To have the balls" to speak out and say things as they should be said in the eyes of other anglers. especially when outnumbered at meetings by politiceans, civil servants and commercial fishermen I think that the old conformity thing (as discussed by famous psychologist Solomon Asche) creeps in and its quite difficult for us to be different from the crowd.

well done to all those who do go to these meetings and If I ever criticise you please feel free to tell me to F off.

I think you've summed it up well Glenn. I think we've got to be just as confrontational, brash and nasty as the people we are sitting opposite at these meetings.

As long as we've got the evidence to back up our arguments, (which we have), I can't see why we can't push it to the limit.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Being fairly new to sea angling could some one explain somthing to me.

When MLS are agreed ie 45cms are the nets used by fishermen resized so as to allow fish smaller than the MLS to pass through?

Phil C

Ask a question and be a fool for 5 minutes! Never ask a question and be a fool for life! .

A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind.

yes Phil from 90 mill to 110 mill I think mate.

I think you've summed it up well Glenn. I think we've got to be just as confrontational, brash and nasty as the people we are sitting opposite at these meetings.

As long as we've got the evidence to back up our arguments, (which we have), I can't see why we can't push it to the limit.

We can not push to the limit as those at the front wouldnt say boo to a goose!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hi

Being fairly new to sea angling could some one explain somthing to me.

When MLS are agreed ie 45cms are the nets used by fishermen resized so as to allow fish smaller than the MLS to pass through?

Phil C

Hi Phil

In respect of the recent consultation to raising the mls for bass to 45cms - Defra also proposed increases in the minimum mesh size to 105mm for gill nets.

Our view (BASS) is that the minimum mesh size should be 110cm, because Defra's advisors indicated that a minimum mesh size of 105mm would produce a bycatch (discards) of undersized fish, but of course, there are several views on this subject alone (some have suggested 115cm) - but it obviously makes sense to set mms to allow fish under the mls to slip through unharmed. Getting it right, should on balance, favour the fish.

Cheers

Steve

Guest CJS2

I have not got involved in any of these 'fishie politics' especially recently. Not because I dont care, but because to me 'black is black' not a frustrating shade of grey. It is not worth the time going round in circles, created by these weak attitudes. Sam, you are so right! I have a theory that leaders in such organisation dont want to rock the boat to much, people wont like them, and if they win, the campaign comes to an end, what do they do then? :huh:

So, I simply 'set to' and make the best of the situation as it is, hence previous posts. One makes the best of a bad job :blink::yeah:

Ho Hum . . . . :ph34r:

yes Phil from 90 mill to 110 mill I think mate.

Actually anyone who has taken the trouble to read the Bass mls consultation proposal knows very well that it is an increase to 105cm that is being proposed, although the angling organisations have strenuously argued in their responses that it should be 110cm.

The mesh sizes used by trawlers will not be increased, at least initially. Bass are one of those fish that are strong enough to be returned, and will suffer less damage if caught in a smaller mesh trawl before being discarded, also the inshore trawlers are not significant compared to the number of bass taken by various forms of netting.

When you go along to meet your MP at his surgery evenings, how assertive are you Sam?

And when you go along to your local Sea Fisheries Committee meeting Sam, as a member of the public, how do you get along with the councillors, many of whom are usually local fishermen, or have family connections etc?

(They manage your local fish stocks out to 6 miles and in some cases prefer to do so without anglers going along to the meetings to see what goes on, though you have every right to).

And what about the letters you have written to the local press Sam? Pretty hot and convincing stuff I should imagine.

Do you say boo to that goose Sam?

Those 'at the front' as you put it Sam, aren't anything special.

They are just ordinary anglers, like you and I, fed up with taking it, and who have decided to put in some extra effort.

We need another few thousand to stop moaning and chattering and start getting involved, then we could really start to make a difference.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

[quote name='Leon Roskilly' date='Jul 5 2006, 07:58 AM' post='645867'

We need another few thousand to stop moaning and chattering and start getting involved, then we could really start to make a difference.

Er, well i tried leon but was rejected for an elder some what politically correct gentleman, i aint got no problem if defra's decision was not somehow influenced in some kind of way? and listening to how and the way steve is treated on his sfc im glad i was not offered it.

Just because people are not at the sharp end by name does not mean they are not as important" and who knows what people have applied for or done for the cause? for all i know sam may have applied for the rsa's rep position on he's local sfc? unless you no different that is, and of course you should not have" unless he told you?

Like me maybe sam gets a little frustrated and needs to air that frustration on this forum, if thats the case there aint nothing wrong with that imo cheers...................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest muttley
I have not got involved in any of these 'fishie politics' especially recently. Not because I dont care, but because to me 'black is black' not a frustrating shade of grey. It is not worth the time going round in circles, created by these weak attitudes. Sam, you are so right! I have a theory that leaders in such organisation dont want to rock the boat to much, people wont like them, and if they win, the campaign comes to an end, what do they do then? :huh:

So, I simply 'set to' and make the best of the situation as it is, hence previous posts. One makes the best of a bad job :blink::yeah:

Ho Hum . . . . :ph34r:

I agree

I was going to post a new subject along the lines of what Sam is saying about opinions. Why is it difficult for some people to accept that people have a right to say things without jumping down their throats? Who was it that said; "I don't agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"? There are a lot of people, not only on this forum, but in all walks of life, that just only have their views and theirs alone! Be it on tackle, methods, fish sizes or anything else, where they cannot see anybody elses view or give them the right to have a say! Very disappointing attitudes prevail.

Enfield North London

And when you go along to your local Sea Fisheries Committee meeting Sam, as a member of the public, how do you get along with the councillors, many of whom are usually local fishermen, or have family connections etc?

(They manage your local fish stocks out to 6 miles and in some cases prefer to do so without anglers going along to the meetings to see what goes on, though you have every right to).

From what I gather due to not having an commecial interest anglers are basicaly only a token at the sfc.

I have written to John Whittingdale, DEFRA, and endless letters to Sea Angling mags regarding their attitude to conservation.

I have also returned countless good sized bass infront of amazed on lookers from populer plases lots of times.

I have educated friends and young anglers in fish care, how to humainly dispatch of any bass they do catch, and why its better for the bass stocks to let go larger fish.

I meet alot of anglers every week and most havnt heard of the BMP, so I let them know where to find out the facts.

John Whittingdales right hand man is Bob Boyce the farther of my commercial fishing friend Nicky, they know my views on fish conservation.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!