replacement carp reels

andyml

hi folks,

i have decided to replace my enormous badger big pit specials with something smaller, lighter and more in keeping with what i actually need. the badgers are very smooth but way too heavy and have the very annoying characteristic of sucking line up behind the spool's skirt and into the gear mechanism.....this hasn't lost me any fish yet...but i guess it's just a matter of time. :headhurt:

to my point....i need some new baitrunners...smaller to medium size....don't absolutley have to be shimano but i do require good quality....i'd be very interested to know what reels you good foks might recommend..they'll be used for caro and pike sessions but all my fishing is done relatively close in so i'm not looking for ultar large spooled reels

i prefer single handle but could tolerate doubles....

thanks in advance <')Andy<

I absolutely loved the shimano GTE series with the twin handles. Can't remember what ones i had now....possibly the 5000 GTE but they were as smooth and balanced as any reel i've ever had.

You do pay for quality but it's well worth it !!!

Get yourself a pair of Shimano 8010's, try ebay etc. I got them after some recommendations from here and I've never looked back.

Excellent quality reels that perform superbly.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Okuma Epix Pro. I have the 40 size, but you might find the 50 size more appropriate.

Only difference between the 40's and 50's is the size of the spool, there is no descernable weight difference either. Both are about the same weight/size of a Shimano GTE 6010.

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

Only difference between the 40's and 50's is the size of the spool, there is no descernable weight difference either. Both are about the same weight/size of a Shimano GTE 6010.

So 50 spare spools will fit my 40 reels ? If so, thats a bit of a bonus..

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Try and get a pair of second hand Shimano 6010's.I think the 8010's are a bit big,certainly bigger than you want.Ive used these for a long time now for both Pike,carp and UK catfish with no problems.

As something to indicate what Ive based my opinion on Ive used Mitchell 300's,410's,300S's,Cardinal 55's,ABU C5's and Shimano 4500's for this sort of "middle size reel job" Ive not used the Okuma reels or anything else so cant comment on those.

Ebay often has them but dont get carried away and pay much more than £35 each!

Once again Im amazed that people are reccomending stuff they admit to having never used! or have used so little they cant remember the exact model! Your doing no one any favours at all by doing this.

I also think that it is important that when reccomending tackle we let people know what we have used to base these opinions on.

After all Im sure an Intrepid Black Prince (sorry chesters!) must seem like the greatest casting reel of all time if you have only ever used a Brass and walnut centrepin!! see what Im getting at?Lots of people not only reccomend stuff just because they have it (and know no better) but also criticise other items because they havnt got them! Doesnt make for very helpfull advice does it?

God Im a miserable Sod aint I? :rolleyes:;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thought the only difference between 8010's and 6010's is the depth of the spool?

I've been looking at reels lately and recently picked up the new Daiwa Regal Plus Bri, I was impressed and it feels like a very nice reel indeed. They come in various sizes and are all under £50. These are the new version of the reels I've had for years which have done me proud, the new version feels a lot better balanced and smoother and they've changed it to front drag which can only be a bonus!

They're about half way down this page: http://www.leslies-fishing.co.uk/acatalog/...fixedspool.html

Rob there quite a lot of difference in the actual size of the reel.Also the spools won't inter swop. I could never really understand why a lot of anglers brought the bigger 8010 as the extra line capacity was by no means in proportion to the extra reel size.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!