Bad boats

Guest muttley

They do seem to review a lot of boats that are 'small boats you can fish from', not 'small fishing boats'. Anyone who has had boats for angling will know what I mean. There's also a fair lack of substance to the testing, and it is (rightly so) biased towards trailerable stuff. Anyone seriously thinking of buying a boat will want to know how it is built, how well it's built, and 'what it'll do' and it what sea conditions. It amuses me to read the 'top 10 angling boats' that they seem to do once a year and it doesn't include the MI21, Hellraiser, Aquafish, or DayAngler, which are streets ahead of anything else you'd think to fish from.

Reviewing boat, Mmm? Seen a few that I personally would not consider right for the UK, all be it a good boat. But then, you only have to look at a marina and see the craft people spend large sums on in the name of 'a cruising boat'? Yeah, fine in the Med.!!!

I do have an issue in my mind, have had a bee-in-the-bonnet for a few years. Spend a fair bit of cash £15,000 to £30,000 on a new 'fishing boat', and in broad terms, thats all you have got, a very expensive, single purpose, piece of moulded plastic! I have seen a few that do cross over into the 'Family weekender/Fishing boat' category, but there seems to be little thought along these lines, in the fishing fraternity?

Are fishermen selfish, greedy, unthinking to their spouses and family? I dont think so, however it took a real leap of faith in my mind in 1996 to change to a 22ft cruiser that I could fish from.

The trick is, being committed to one place, which then offers local knowledge in the long term. A marina berth, walk on/walk off, and a roof over the head for more than a day, comfortable bead to crash in. My first 'proper boat' served as, holiday caravan, fishing boat, retreat, shelter, somewhere I have met new people and made good friends. I love the thought of spending a night or two on board, I can have a glass of wine and not worry about driving home. Get up the next morning at 'bird chirp' and withing 30 minutes be through the lock and on my way to my mark.

Hot food, drink, bacon sarnies. Present plastic, steal and wood extravagance has toilet, vanity unit, washbasin + hot and cold running water, two large double berths and an open rear cockpit to fish 4 in comfort. That may be a bit OTT for some but, a 7-8 meter cruiser/fisher can be all things to almost all men and women. Holidays cost me nothing, need no arranging, its nice this weekend, (take Friday and Monday) and you have four days break at the drop of a hat.

Hazel and I have been doing this since 1996, potentially 50+ days holiday a year is possible and practical, and it puts little (tend to buy more pre prepared food) on to our normal living costs per week.

To get the above, a used boat, or one of the French/Spanish type fisher/cruisers will be needed, but anyone who spends £15-20,000 on a fishing dinghy really should consider the options. Recently been looking at used boats out of interest, buy wisely, be prepared to do a bit of DIY, and you can end up with a lot of boating convenience on your hands, for less that you would think.

Just how I see things.

Perhaps we shoud have a look at used craft for sale and how suitable they would be for the angler, and, his family? :rolleyes:

Cliff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviewing boat, Mmm? Seen a few that I personally would not consider right for the UK, all be it a good boat. But then, you only have to look at a marina and see the craft people spend large sums on in the name of 'a cruising boat'? Yeah, fine in the Med.!!!

I do have an issue in my mind, have had a bee-in-the-bonnet for a few years. Spend a fair bit of cash £15,000 to £30,000 on a new 'fishing boat', and in broad terms, thats all you have got, a very expensive, single purpose, piece of moulded plastic! I have seen a few that do cross over into the 'Family weekender/Fishing boat' category, but there seems to be little thought along these lines, in the fishing fraternity?

Are fishermen selfish, greedy, unthinking to their spouses and family? I dont think so, however it took a real leap of faith in my mind in 1996 to change to a 22ft cruiser that I could fish from.

The trick is, being committed to one place, which then offers local knowledge in the long term. A marina berth, walk on/walk off, and a roof over the head for more than a day, comfortable bead to crash in. My first 'proper boat' served as, holiday caravan, fishing boat, retreat, shelter, somewhere I have met new people and made good friends. I love the thought of spending a night or two on board, I can have a glass of wine and not worry about driving home. Get up the next morning at 'bird chirp' and withing 30 minutes be through the lock and on my way to my mark.

Hot food, drink, bacon sarnies. Present plastic, steal and wood extravagance has toilet, vanity unit, washbasin + hot and cold running water, two large double berths and an open rear cockpit to fish 4 in comfort. That may be a bit OTT for some but, a 7-8 meter cruiser/fisher can be all things to almost all men and women. Holidays cost me nothing, need no arranging, its nice this weekend, (take Friday and Monday) and you have four days break at the drop of a hat.

Hazel and I have been doing this since 1996, potentially 50+ days holiday a year is possible and practical, and it puts little (tend to buy more pre prepared food) on to our normal living costs per week.

To get the above, a used boat, or one of the French/Spanish type fisher/cruisers will be needed, but anyone who spends £15-20,000 on a fishing dinghy really should consider the options. Recently been looking at used boats out of interest, buy wisely, be prepared to do a bit of DIY, and you can end up with a lot of boating convenience on your hands, for less that you would think.

Just how I see things.

Perhaps we shoud have a look at used craft for sale and how suitable they would be for the angler, and, his family? :rolleyes:

Cliff

Given what you have just said cliff, and a very good read it was too, can you categorise my boat, please be brutally honest, and does anyone have any info on this type of boat or maker?

its a port issac powerglide 23ft with a 110 hp inboard shaft drive

boatsteaming.jpg

C.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Given what you have just said cliff, and a very good read it was too, can you categorise my boat, please be brutally honest, and does anyone have any info on this type of boat or maker?

its a port issac powerglide 23ft with a 110 hp inboard shaft drive

boatsteaming.jpg

C.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

Yep, looks like a great fishing boat.

The thing is, we are talking fishing boats here. Boats for fishing off of. I think all the other things might be nice, but then you're getting into the realms of motor cruising.

I've heard the Norfolk broads are nice this time of year. :D

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Yep, looks like a great fishing boat.

The thing is, we are talking fishing boats here. Boats for fishing off of. I think all the other things might be nice, but then you're getting into the realms of motor cruising.

I've heard the Norfolk broads are nice this time of year. :D

Hay Steve, motor cruising my eye! What I am into is fishing in the company of my nearest and dearest, with a bit of comfort and 'give and take'. Anchoring, in the river for a romantic evening meal, after a pleasant few hours bass fishing, or perhaps anchored with bass, dabs, sole in mind. Crash until bird chirp, get up, have a refreshing wash and teeth clean, start fishing for bass again. Hazel can get up at a respectable hour, take her time, cup of tea, breakfast; full English, bacon and egg sarnie . . . , I'll stick with me fishing cruiser.

Dinghies in my opinion are wet, noisy, uncomfortable, a pain to launch and retrieve, towing them is anti social to other road users, caravan style, they are anti family as well. But if thats what you like mate, then you go for it, been there, don that got the tea shirt and seen the film! I'll say it again, these are my personal opinions.

I voiced my preference, and still hold a strong view in favour of a more shared approach to boat angling. My proper boats have always been 'fishing boats' with comfortable accommodation. KT, though described as a 'Trawler Yacht', that 100+sq ft of open cockpit is her 'plus factor'.

'Thurso Angler', she looks nice, I started on 'real boats' in 96 with something similar, one presumes there is a 'V' berth and small galley forward. A friend has a Mitchell 23 looks almost the same. We both put canvas awning over the rear cockpit, dramatically increases the living space, making her into a weekender, occasional longer stays.

The awning needs to be able to unzip the sides and roll the roof halfway or all the way back. The halfway is a great compromise. Sit on the engine box, in the dry, out of the wind or out of the sun, still plenty of room to fish two. Strangely I miss my 22 footer, when I cant handle the 10m, 13 tone beastie I currently have, that is probably the rout we will go?

:ph34r:

Dinghies in my opinion are wet, noisy, uncomfortable, a pain to launch and retrieve, towing them is anti social to other road users, caravan style, they are anti family as well. But if thats what you like mate, then you go for it, been there, don that got the tea shirt and seen the film! I'll say it again, these are my personal opinions.

I voiced my preference, and still hold a strong view in favour of a more shared approach to boat angling. My proper boats have always been 'fishing boats' with comfortable accommodation. KT, though described as a 'Trawler Yacht', that 100+sq ft of open cockpit is her 'plus factor'.

Going by my own experiences I'd say that most fishing boat owners started by going out on charter boats, then fancied a boat of their own. Small boats and dinghys allow a lot of people to live their dream, and you can't knock that. Don't get me wrong Cliff, I'd love a bit more comfort as you know, but unless someone drops me 40 or 50 grand, it's unlikely to happen before I retire. Having said that, if money was no object my ideal fishing boat would a be something like a 25 or 27ft Offshore. I might invest in a roll of soft paper for toilet, (bucket), though :lol:

Don't drink and drive.

Going by my own experiences I'd say that most fishing boat owners started by going out on charter boats, then fancied a boat of their own. Small boats and dinghys allow a lot of people to live their dream, and you can't knock that. Don't get me wrong Cliff, I'd love a bit more comfort as you know, but unless someone drops me 40 or 50 grand, it's unlikely to happen before I retire. Having said that, if money was no object my ideal fishing boat would a be something like a 25 or 27ft Offshore. I might invest in a roll of soft paper for toilet, (bucket), though :lol:

Thats your opinion Steve, the same as I have mine. Just so that no one gets the wrong idea, you dont need 40-50 G's as you well now.

There does seem to be something in the 'diehard dinghy mind' that I dont understand, and I have been there :blink: . Yes I would (will) probably go back to something in the 7-8m (light 10m?) class when I get to old (like now, this knee really is a problem). However cannot exclude my Hazel, she is part of my life and that means fishing and boats, must not forget Walter, he is a real 'sea dog', lol

I have given up speed for comfort and economy. Take to day, We finished hospital early, by 3pm we were on board, relaxed, cup of tea. Had a chat to Wurzel when he came in, saw a few friends, did a few jobs, beats sitting at home any day!

Thats your opinion Steve, the same as I have mine. Just so that no one gets the wrong idea, you dont need 40-50 G's as you well now.

There does seem to be something in the 'diehard dinghy mind' that I dont understand, and I have been there :blink: . Yes I would (will) probably go back to something in the 7-8m (light 10m?) class when I get to old (like now, this knee really is a problem). However cannot exclude my Hazel, she is part of my life and that means fishing and boats, must not forget Walter, he is a real 'sea dog', lol

I have given up speed for comfort and economy. Take to day, We finished hospital early, by 3pm we were on board, relaxed, cup of tea. Had a chat to Wurzel when he came in, saw a few friends, did a few jobs, beats sitting at home any day!

I don't want to mislead anyone Cliff. Of course you can get a boat for a lot less than 40 or 50 grand. I was talking about my own circumstances. I'd have to pay off my mortgage to be able to afford a bigger boat and the marina fees.

I don't think there is anything die hard about dinghy anglers, I'm sure most would love bigger boats but cost does come into it. As you say, family comes first and if like me you have a wife, kids and a mortgage, it could mean it's a dinghy or nothing.

Don't drink and drive.

I don't want to mislead anyone Cliff. Of course you can get a boat for a lot less than 40 or 50 grand. I was talking about my own circumstances. I'd have to pay off my mortgage to be able to afford a bigger boat and the marina fees.

I don't think there is anything die hard about dinghy anglers, I'm sure most would love bigger boats but cost does come into it. As you say, family comes first and if like me you have a wife, kids and a mortgage, it could mean it's a dinghy or nothing.

Cant disagree with the comitment angle Steve, I have past kids and a mortgage, I'm in to grey hair and most things going south, lol

One thing I would say, and I know this does not apply to you, but I dont smoke and drinking? I'm a cabbie! I always say, the cost of running my boat is about the same as a 40 a day smoking habit or 30 + some booze. Its the capital cost that kills the idea for many. Although there are anglers who buy new or nearly new, they are into 15 - 20 G's??? Then there is the cheapie as pointed out recently IP24 £4,750? there are ways?

Cliff

different strokes for different folks ladies!

The pilot house has a **** finish, but then so do most of the boats in the 20,000 to 45, 000 bracket.

Best getting a new hull part self biuld project! if one has time.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!