Bad boats

Guest muttley

Very good points Cliff, especially the holiday bit. Unfortunately, if I told my family that they were having a few weeks afloat next year they'd probably hold me down and cut my b***s off! :blink:

Yeah Steve, :lol: I did say it requires all parties, and I know that not easy, one day perhaps :huh:;)

Cliff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im lucky on the Crouch, being a faily narrow river it gets lots of protection from the wind. This makes a swing mooring fairly safe. It costs 15 quid per week and they run a boat taxi from 9 til 5 in the summer.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

When I had a boat she was in my view just that little bit too big for launching on a slip at 21' and a heavy 21' at that. I found I was dragging up the A1 as often as I could. (Peterborough, where I lived was rather in the middle of things) and that proved expensive as you needed a big car to do the job properly. Problem was, once I had a boat I wanted to be out on her as often as possible especially during the wrecking season and I began to find it tiring , Friday afternoons travelling, Saturdays up at sparrow fart and fish all day, Sunday, resentful at having to come in early and dont forget the restrictions slipping the boat places because of the tides. Then I found a place at Hartlepool on the Fish quay, reasonable rates and it changed my life. It was so much easier. Things changed and money was tifght so I sold her. Now its a different kettle of fish, Marinas are very the current flavour even in Hartlepool and although proberbly cheaper than south still 1500-2000 per year but I would never go back to trailer and slipping because I feel if you add it all up its not really that much cheaper.

My life has changed now and after ill health for me and my wife we value our leisure so much more and a boat is more than a platform to fish from, its a place to be still and watch the world go by, aplace to get absorbed in doing proper maintainance. Messing about on the river as Mole said. Every man needs a shed they say. When I get my boat it will be a floating one thats all!!! :sun:

When I had a boat she was in my view just that little bit too big for launching on a slip at 21' and a heavy 21' at that. I found I was dragging up the A1 as often as I could. (Peterborough, where I lived was rather in the middle of things) and that proved expensive as you needed a big car to do the job properly. Problem was, once I had a boat I wanted to be out on her as often as possible especially during the wrecking season and I began to find it tiring , Friday afternoons travelling, Saturdays up at sparrow fart and fish all day, Sunday, resentful at having to come in early and dont forget the restrictions slipping the boat places because of the tides. Then I found a place at Hartlepool on the Fish quay, reasonable rates and it changed my life. It was so much easier. Things changed and money was tifght so I sold her. Now its a different kettle of fish, Marinas are very the current flavour even in Hartlepool and although proberbly cheaper than south still 1500-2000 per year but I would never go back to trailer and slipping because I feel if you add it all up its not really that much cheaper.

My life has changed now and after ill health for me and my wife we value our leisure so much more and a boat is more than a platform to fish from, its a place to be still and watch the world go by, aplace to get absorbed in doing proper maintainance. Messing about on the river as Mole said. Every man needs a shed they say. When I get my boat it will be a floating one thats all!!! :sun:

Very much my experience 'zziplexboy' as far as the towing went, I like the messing about on the river and every man should have a shed. My shed is called KT, 10m long, weighs 13 tone and is powerd by a Lister 6c diesel, some shead! My other shed is 24ft long would not float! lol

Cliff

And a point well made! you nearly convinced me!! ;) I own a small dinghy, easy to launch and retrieve singlehanded, I moor it on my drive! and have a choice of locations, should I chose I can also put up the mast and sail. But I think if had more time I'd go for the marina option too but would pick a boat that was more than just a fishing platform. Trouble is I get out 4 to 6 times if I can in the summer, and I just dont think I'd get the use. Its each to his/her own maybe next year!

Dan

Dan, a thought. If you could just step on board and go, "for an evening" or a Staurday afternoon, after taking the good lady shoping in the morning ???? Thats where the marina/proper boat thing starts to kick in, :idea: need to live within an hour of the marina, and of course be close to some fishing marks.

I am lucky, I'm 25 minuits away, and the summer bass in the river estuary are every where!!! all be it mostly schoolies!!! Weekends, the Tope, Smoothounds and larger bass are 7 or 8 miles off, easy reach with a 5 or 6 hour trip, lock out at 2pm back by 8, choose the tides, or 5am back by 1pm, time to chill and get ready for the evenig out you promissesd the misses? ;)

:ph34r:

• 1 year later...
They do seem to review a lot of boats that are 'small boats you can fish from', not 'small fishing boats'. Anyone who has had boats for angling will know what I mean. There's also a fair lack of substance to the testing, and it is (rightly so) biased towards trailerable stuff. Anyone seriously thinking of buying a boat will want to know how it is built, how well it's built, and 'what it'll do' and it what sea conditions. It amuses me to read the 'top 10 angling boats' that they seem to do once a year and it doesn't include the MI21, Hellraiser, Aquafish, or DayAngler, which are streets ahead of anything else you'd think to fish from.

I have to agree the Hellraiser is a superb boat, although I am slightly biased.

I started looking last year and came to the following conclusions:

Cost of towing and launching fees is quite high and limited.

Most towed boats are powered by outboards which cost per mile from what I seen are a lot higher than an inboard.

With a towed boat a buddy at my age is a must which again restricts use.

So I set about looking for marina berths and cost, if I go local Swansea, Bury Port charges are high and locks again restrictive.

I eventually look at Milford Haven an easy forty minutes drive, mooring cost very reasonable, plus ten miles of sheltered fishing to exploit before the open sea.

Since my little dance with the devil towing is now definitely out the door :rolleyes::lol:

So I am currently looking for an inboard around 24', high speed not essential and economy far more important with a few home comforts. £15k to £20k gives a very wide choice and when I start looking close next year I will be on here seeking advice.

Like Cliff I will go down for long weekends treating friends to a trip, my good lady is definitely not a boat person, she knows I have always loved my fishing and boating so it's not a problem.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

So I am currently looking for an inboard around 24', high speed not essential and economy far more important with a few home comforts. £15k to £20k gives a very wide choice and when I start looking close next year I will be on here seeking advice.

A friend and I will be looking for similar next year, albeit it on a slightly lower budget.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I see there's a pic of one in your profile, tell us more about her!

We spent a lot of time researching and looking for a boat in the 22ft class, initially we were interested in an Aquafish and around that time one arrived in our local marina. After a good look around her we decided against the Aquafish.

There are a few of the French boats here as well, but again they were not what we were looking for.

As there were very few Hellraisers available second hand, my brother and I took a trip to O' Sullivan's yard in Tralee Ireland, and there was a year old Hellraiser there for it's first service. We had a good look at her and the decision was made there and then to have one built.

Boat spec's

Engine Yanmar 315hp

Fuel Capacity 60 Gallons

Raymarine DSC Radio

Raymarine E120 Electronic package

AIS

Bennett trim tabs.

Air suspension seats

This boat will cruise at 28knots with a full tank of fuel and 4 adults effortlessly.

Will fish 4 quite easily and is very stable for her size.

Great sea boat.

Regularly go for cruises of 50 miles plus and never had any problems, with sensible weather conditions.

Just finished our second season and we are delighted with her look and performance.

As I said, I am slightly biased toward this excellent day fishing boat.