Bad boats

Guest muttley

different strokes for different folks ladies!

Dont forget Sam, we are all allowed our opinions :yeah: and, yes every one has a preferred way.

Read anything to do with boat and the emphasis is nearly always 'dinghy' and charging around the country chasing the fish, 'fish twitching?' lol, or the other extreme of charter boats. The pleasures of owning a 'proper' :rolleyes: boat are so often overlooked.

The strange thing is, its not because there are not may owners, in my marina alone there are 20+ privately owned fishing boat/cruisers, and they range from 20ft up, apply that to the other 5 local Marinas and thats a lot of Marina based fishing boats in just one small area. Look at the wet moorings and it probably doubles at least?

For me size has no relevance here, a 22 footer and an awning type cover is as relevant as a 10m craft. Its the 'Step on/Step of' thats the clincher. No towing, no launching, no fighting for access to slips, car/trailer parking?, what a night mare. No boat buddy available, it can be a one man operation.

Hay, I can get as passionate over being marina based as some anglers and their bass lol :yeah:

Its the 'fourth dimension' to boat angling that few consider.

:ph34r:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am activly seeking a boat at the moment and find this useful. I have found myself going down the compromise route at the moment. ie fishing boat but with some accomodation that makes life comfortable and room to sit out back at the end of the day. I'm only at the dreaming stage at the moment(some would say stay there!!) but there does seem to be very reasonable craft which fit this catergory for 5k or even less.

I also find that working on boats is very theraputic so I'm looking for something that I can lavish a bit of tlc on

Your idea seems very like mine CJS2. When I had a boat before it was fantastic to sleep the night before and be comfortable and get away early doors and the family certainly enjoyed a nice summers evening sat outside with a glass of wine and a bite to eat even if the missus gets so seasick that the Marina sometimes made her feel queasy!

I am activly seeking a boat at the moment and find this useful. I have found myself going down the compromise route at the moment. ie fishing boat but with some accomodation that makes life comfortable and room to sit out back at the end of the day. I'm only at the dreaming stage at the moment(some would say stay there!!) but there does seem to be very reasonable craft which fit this catergory for 5k or even less.

I also find that working on boats is very therapeutic so I'm looking for something that I can lavish a bit of tlc on

Your idea seems very like mine CJS2. When I had a boat before it was fantastic to sleep the night before and be comfortable and get away early doors and the family certainly enjoyed a nice summers evening sat outside with a glass of wine and a bite to eat even if the missus gets so seasick that the Marina sometimes made her feel queasy!

Zziplexbox,

You are obviously a discerning sort of guy, :P nice to see that I am not the only one who likes to include N&D'est in as much pleasure activity as possible. Shame about the sea sickness, although, I have a friend whos partner was a sufferer, but she loved fishing from the beach.

We took them into the river one summer evening a couple of years ago, had a few sarnies, tea, and caught a few bass, the weather was obviously good and the river Stour is sheltered, but they are now boat owners, spending most of their spare time on board.

Some boats are less prone to move (roll) than others, I mentioned the a cheap IP24 I had seen. IP's are good on the roll front, they are fairly flat bottomed and beamy so very stable. They are not fast, displacement speed 6-7 knots, below the address of said boat, pays your money takes your choice?

http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=2034, needs some TLC?

The other point I touched on, was the use of a framed awning type cover. The amount of extra space this offers is amazing, same reason as fitting an awning on a caravan, I look at my boat as a floating caravan, with all the advantages, (camping on water, :lol: the kids love it) plus that 'fourth dimension'.

CJS2 Cliff

Zziplexbox,

You are obviously a discerning sort of guy, :P nice to see that I am not the only one who likes to include N&D'est in as much pleasure activity as possible. Shame about the sea sickness, although, I have a friend whos partner was a sufferer, but she loved fishing from the beach.

We took them into the river one summer evening a couple of years ago, had a few sarnies, tea, and caught a few bass, the weather was obviously good and the river Stour is sheltered, but they are now boat owners, spending most of their spare time on board.

Some boats are less prone to move (roll) than others, I mentioned the a cheap IP24 I had seen. IP's are good on the roll front, they are fairly flat bottomed and beamy so very stable. They are not fast, displacement speed 6-7 knots, below the address of said boat, pays your money takes your choice?

http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=2034, needs some TLC?

The other point I touched on, was the use of a framed awning type cover. The amount of extra space this offers is amazing, same reason as fitting an awning on a caravan, I look at my boat as a floating caravan, with all the advantages, (camping on water, :lol: the kids love it) plus that 'fourth dimension'.

CJS2 Cliff

At that price the IP24 looks a steal!!!!!

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Hiya Cliff,

I'm on your side with this one :)

Tis great to be able to go out when you want without worrying about someone to help launching, being able to cook a hot meal, sleep in comfort, having an on board flushing loo and not having to worry about when I come back in.

The only drawbacks, if you can call them that is not having her beside the house to work on and having to get her lifted out or beached to do any jobs to her.

I started out with a bare hull that cost £800, £5000, 8 years and a lot of TLC later I've got a boat that's worth £10,000... so I cant complain :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

The walk on, walk off bit would be great. But at a price, and a very high one at that. The marinas around here are pretty expensive. It still keeps coming back down to that money thing. If you can afford a big boat and the marina fees, great. A lot of people simply can't and that's where the small trailable boat comes in. Yes, I could sell my 17ft dory and buy that cheap IP24, but the £2500 a year mooring fees? No way. After 2 years you've spent more than what the boat is worth!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

The walk on, walk off bit would be great. But at a price, and a very high one at that. The marinas around here are pretty expensive. It still keeps coming back down to that money thing. If you can afford a big boat and the marina fees, great. A lot of people simply can't and that's where the small trailable boat comes in. Yes, I could sell my 17ft dory and buy that cheap IP24, but the £2500 a year mooring fees? No way. After 2 years you've spent more than what the boat is worth!

Very true Steve, If we looked at every thing on the basis of 'worth', we would not do anything. Go to the cinema, £30-£40 for a family, with pop corn, drink, sweets, 3 hours and its all over, not worth much? Have a drink and an evening with friends, £30-£50? All over in hours, the fags thing I have already covered. elsewhere. Values, it all comes down to value, why do we always judge things on 'how much'! Steve, I bet you have spent more than your dorry was worth in the time you have owned it, if not yet, there will soon come a cross over time? Not a good way of looking at this particular issue, thats the way one would evaluate a business venture. Value? no, one is looking at quality time.

I have not had a Holiday in 10 years, my last few days away were to a farm cottage in North Devon. It was the Cottage I used to go to with my late wife twice every year, I scattered her ashes in the field and on the lake margins over looked by the cottage.

My values changed, I prefer to spend my time and meager spare cash on my boat, it has a lasting value. Spend £1000-£2000-more :blink: ?, on a holiday, all you got left after 2 or 3 weeks, a few photographs, a large hole in the bank ballance, and the slog towards the same hole next year! I go and spend a few days on my boat, its value £XXX, back to work, I have pictures, the break cost me little more than a normal week and I still have £XXX value, yes I slog to but my pot retains its value. A bonus, because of work I can chose when I have time off almost at the drop of a hat, when I take those breaks, I get to fish, get away from the madding crowd or go home with no penalty if it all goes pear shaped, usually because English weather takes a hand. Even if one had a more regular Mon to Fri type occupation, I'd still consider Sat and Sun boat days, quality private time if Hazel and I choose, if not, invite a friend or two on board?, or just chill for a few hours, just like I did this afternoon.

Shuffle the money about and things can be afforded, it requires both parties to be of like mind! Stop smoking and a boat can be afforded, if you smoke? Regular holidays/short breaks afloat not halfway around the world, its the same sun, just less of it, :lol: Its where you put your valve.

I put a £2000 holiday in the 'nice if I could afford it' category, cos I have a boat, this week, next month, next year? I get pictures too, :lol:

Pays your money, takes your choice, and it can still all go pear shaped, :ph34r:

'These are very personal views' :mellow:

'These are very personal views' :mellow:

And a point well made! you nearly convinced me!! ;) I own a small dinghy, easy to launch and retrieve singlehanded, I moor it on my drive! and have a choice of locations, should I chose I can also put up the mast and sail. But I think if had more time I'd go for the marina option too but would pick a boat that was more than just a fishing platform. Trouble is I get out 4 to 6 times if I can in the summer, and I just dont think I'd get the use. Its each to his/her own maybe next year!

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

And a point well made! you nearly convinced me!! ;) I own a small dinghy, easy to launch and retrieve singlehanded, I moor it on my drive! and have a choice of locations, should I chose I can also put up the mast and sail. But I think if had more time I'd go for the marina option too but would pick a boat that was more than just a fishing platform. Trouble is I get out 4 to 6 times if I can in the summer, and I just dont think I'd get the use. Its each to his/her own maybe next year!

Dan

As you say each to his own, potential heavy use is a requasite in the 'boat for all' senarion. Having said that, I went through 6 years of driving just over 2 hours, 6am Sunday mornig returning Moday night or Tuesday mid morning. That was 3 weekends out of 4, you have to be very dedicated to do that. The onlsougt of silver hair started to convince me it was time to stop or move? We moved, 25 minuites is the drive time now, :yeah:

CJS2