Look what I got for my Birthday! - Lobster pot

Dan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ideal for me to use from my dinghy. I'll put it down with a buoy for as long as I'm out fishing, It came from greece and they catch fish in them too. Anyone else used one? the fact that it folds up makes it dead easy to stow.

Dan

[ 04. April 2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Seadoo, available at a filling station in Northern Corfu, if your passing!

Ok so whats the best bait for Lobster. I am reading a book called the Longshoreman, Its the story of a marine and fisheries expert, he recons fish baits for crab but squid for lobster, anyone prepared to divulge their secrets!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Location, location, location, is even more important than bait. I always used to work a couple of creels down the side of a pier where I had my creel boat and have caught Lobster with no bait (We are talking no bait for weeks). Once one of the other fisherman lost a bag of Lobsters down one side of the Pier and a couple of days later I caught three of them, complete with elastic bands round their claws on the other side of the pier some 100 yards away (Gave them back of course).

I used to work one piece of ground that I could tell where I was depending on what I caught. It was a mound and around the edge you would get Partons and in the middle Lobster.

The best way is to learn is to try different baits over a the same ground but the common wisdom up here is fresh bait for crabs and stinky stuff for Lobster (We are talking Coalfish up here).

The best bit about using pots is you are never sure whats going to come up, I have had Lobster, Partons, Velvets, Greens, Spiders, Hermits, Whelks, Octopus, Plaice, Dogfish, Conger, Ling and even Cod.

Have fun (I am tempted to dig out a couple as well).

Bob

A couple of tips. If the book you are reading is the one I think it is (With some line drawings) you should have this info but here goes.

Always lower your pot to the bottom before you chuck your marker in. Nothing worse than having 20 fathoms of rope but chucking your creel in 25 fathoms of water.

Try and keep out of the way of other boats. Commercials don't like ropes in their props and you are very unlikely to ever find your creel again if you are in their way.

Doubt if you will get a Lobster unless you leave it over night.

Bob

Allegedly cormorant is by far the best bait for lobsters. The flesh is very fishy, but tough with it. Other good bait for pots in general is gurnard.

PS. You will need a sash weight or 2 in the bottom to stop a lightweight pot like that getting washed away by the tide.

[ 05. April 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

sanctuary - I've also just received my trap the same as yours. Not had a chance to use it yet though. I'm assuming the bait zip should be at the top ? Or does it matter.

I'll only be able to use it at the bottom of the pier while I'm fishing there as I don't have access to a boat.

Toerag - What are 'sash' weights ? Can you pick them up from angling centres ? As I was wondering ho to wait it down.

I was gonna stick half a mackerel in the net. Would that do the job ?

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...