Lads Week at Drummore 2006

Snatcher

This is an annual event which has been going on for a number of years now. It involves a weeks fishing and drinking on The Mull of Galloway and we always stay on Clashwhannon Caravan Park in Drummore. We used to hire a van on the site but three years ago I made the decision to buy one of the vans and I have never looked back.Oh well this is how things went this year!

Friday 30th June

Everyone arrived around tea-time. The "motley crew" were Snatcher,Chris(young Snatcher),Dale,Norrie,Stan Massey and Mick. We sorted out the fishing gear,stowed away our best trainers and t-shirts and went to the pub. Now the pub on the site is a good 25yds away from my caravan which is a real hardship! Rounds of beer were ordered along with some excellent meals. I think we took it easy that night but am not really sure. We may have had an earlyish night but then again I cannot swear to it.

DaleHeldBack.jpg

Dale fighting his 42lb tope, with snatcher's hand as an anchor on his collar

Saturday 01 July

Norrie had brought his boat down with Mick and the pair of them fancied pollack bashing at Port Logan. For some reason Stan is not a big pollack fan so the pair of us decided to fish the "wall" mark at the end of the Mull hoping for some mackerel fun on light gear. Chris and Dale were waiting back at the caravan for the arrival of Tack4,little Tack4 and miss Tack4. I got amongst the mackerel first or second cast which was nice. Stans first 6 fish were pollack,the very things he did not want to catch,I was creased up.Stan eventually decided to respool with lighter line and as a consequence started casting about an extra 20yds and then started hitting the mackerel. Chris,Dale and the Tacks arrived after a while and fished about 30yds to the south of us. They had similar results of mackerel,pollack and coalfish. They then decided to join us for a bit fish and "craic" Now the mackerel were a fair way out so I started casting out for Caitlin and Kyle and let them reel in. Sure enough they started getting mackerel. I cannot swear to this but I think Andrew may have blanked on the mackerel!!! I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong.

DalesTope.jpg

Dale about to return his tope

Now the climb back up from the wall mark is not a stroll. Caitlin and Kyle raced ahead and Stan and I slowly plodded behind,we must have stopped 6 or 7 times for a breather on the way up. I keep saying never again but the fishing is that good I keep going back for more. We waited in the lighthouse carpark and Andrew eventually joined us.We got back to the caravan to find that Norrie and Mick had had similar results to us on the Logan side

The Tacks headed back to Stranraer and after a wash and shave the motley crew once again went to the Clash for some bevvies and a bite to eat. It was a nice night so we decided to sit outside and catch a few rays. Unfortunately two groups of lads had a slight altercation so being experienced anglers we quickly grabbed our beers off the table before they got spilled. Dale and I decided to be referees and eventually peace prevailed. We may have had a late one,cannot be sure.

SnatcherTopeFight.jpg

Snatcher bent into his fish

Sunday 02 July

Sunday seen Snatcher,Stan,Mick and Norrie launching Norries boat at East Tarbet after a rather large fry-up at Mariners Cafe in the village. Ian Burrett also launched his 3 boats from there at the same time. Guy was on Ians boat that headed off to the Scars in search of tope,we followed them. Ians other two boats stayed inshore looking for pollack.We had first picked up a rake of mackerel close in and soon got a rubby-dubby bag out. We opted for whole mackerel for bait,dropped the bait to the bottom and sat back and waited. It was not long before I got a decent rattle and brought up a 12lb bull huss. A new species for me and I was well chuffed. It was a tough cookie and was having a real good try to bite me,eventually it decided to bite its own tail!!! It still had hold of it as released it back into the sea. I followed this up with another huss of 8lbs. Between us we had about 12 huss to the boat. Three or four of the huss were not actually hooked,they just had a vice like grip on the bait and were brought to the surface. We had two tope runs but they came to nothing. Ians boat fared better getting some tope on board but I am not sure how many they got or what size. We also picked up a couple of LSDs. It had been a good day out for us. We returned back to the van and then bade a fond farewell to Norrie,Mick and Stan as they had to get back. They all said what a great time they had and I fancy they are up for a return bout next year.

For a change Chris Dale and myself had a few beers and some food in the Clash. We then walked down to the Ship and I think we may have had a late one!

Monday 03 July

Went into Stranraer and called in to see Tracy,Caitlin and Kyle which was nice. Then went to Morrisons to get some apples and carrots to feed the wild boar we had heard about (honest) We took the Port Logan turn off at Terrally and stopped at the field where the sign said "Keep out,danger,wild boar"!! We chucked the foof over and sure enough 3 of the larger boars turned up and scoffed the grub rather quickly. They even ate the sausuage roll that Dale bounced off one of their heads.

Then it was off to Ardwell Back Bay and we struggled to get a few small wrasse and pollack. Went to the Clash on the night for beer and a barmeal - honest!

IanMouthTope.jpg

Nice Teeth!

Tuesday 04 July

Got up late as we were hung over from a late one. Met the Tacks as prearranged at Ardwell Back Bay. We arrived first and as Chris was the nominated driver Dale and I cooled down a load of Fosters Ice bottles in a rock pool and got stuck into them.Also fished at the same time and pulled in mackerel,wrasse and pollack. It was now time for Dales annual "Aquaman" dive to amuse the kids and he did not fail to dissapoint. It was Dales and Kyles birthday that day so Andrew and Caitlin produced a birthday cake when we got back to the cars. We drove back to the Clash,ate the cake and then got lashed. Got a phonecall from Manxman at some stage saying he was approaching Drummore harbour as he was bringing his new boat over. I went down to the Ship for a few drinks with him but to be honest it is all a blur. May have gone back to the van to watch Team America on dvd but not sure!

Wednesday 05 July

Tried popping on the Luce Bay side with Chris and Dale and never got a touch. Went over to Port Logan and tried spinning off the pier - not a touch.Dale sparked out in the van so Chris and I went to the pub quiz at the Clash. Vanessa the owners daughter joined our team. We managed to sneak into second place.

SnatchersTope.jpg

Say cheese

Thursday 06 July

There had been two yakkers,Jon and Martin,from Anglers Net Forum staying on the site all week and today they had promised to let me loose in a yak. The wind was blowing fairly hard but I met them at Terrally Bay none the less. I was rigged up in a life jacket and given a few instructions and then let loose. Martin was my safety man. As it was gusty I did not venture far but was suprised how stable the yak was.As had been prearranged Martin then took my whole mackerel tope bait out in his yak about 200yds and dropped it for me. Jon and Richard departed and left me alone on my tope session. Not a touch after 3 hours or so and I packed in and went to the pub!

Dale and Chris had arrived at the same time. They had fished at East Tarbet and had caught a lot of mackerel and pollack. They said that another party from AN (Hairyscotsman+Jackie+??) were having a whale of a time in Ian Burretts boat and catching pollack to 8lb on fly gear.

We had a very late one in the Clash which was rather stupid as we were booked with Ian Burrett the next day to go toping.

Friday 07 July

Friday morning saw us up at about 07.30 feeling a bit shabby.PJ a mate of mine from work arrived as prearranged and we went to Mariners Cafe in the village for a nosebag. Chris,Dale and PJ managed a big plateful,all I could face was a hardboiled egg and a slice of toast. We arrived a East Tarbet to find Spike and Mallies boats had already left and Ian was waiting for us. We fished around the end of the Mull for quite a while and really struggled to fill a box with mackerel for bait and rubby dubby.We eventually got enough and headed out beyond the Scars in the middle of Luce Bay. Ian was not too happy with the terminal tackle that the tope virgins had brought along so commenced to fix us all up correctly. Sorry Ian !!

Evetually we got 5 baits out and the wait began. A couple of baits were picked up and dropped when eventually Dale got a decent run on his rod. When he tightened up all hell let loose. The initial run nearly had him over the side,honest. What with feeling weak from being seasick and the roll of the boat on a lumpy sea he was teetering on the edge. I jumped over and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and held on till the fish was in the boat(check the photos,it is my hand on his collar)

We all were gobsmacked when Ian lifted in a 42lb tope. Ian was astride it like a rodeo rider getting the hook out and tagging it. The fish was lip hooked so was quickly but back into the water after a photo shoot. My rod went off next and I was really impressed with their fighting qualities.After a decent fight Ian lifted in a 30lb fish for me. That fish was hooked deeper down so Ian decided to cut the trace next to the hook saying the hook would rust away in no time.We had no more tope runs but PJ managed a LSD which was a new species for him.

Time came to pack in and we headed back to East Tarbet getting a right buffeting on the way back. It had been a most memorable boat trip - thanks for that Ian.

We headed back to the van,cleaned up and went to the pub for food and a few beers. Then it was back to the van for more beer and a dvd.To be honest the day (or week in our case) had taken its toll on us so we all hit the sack early.

Saturday 08 July

PJ,Chris and Dale had to leave early so 08.30 saw me alone in the caravan with a weekful of anglers mess to tidy up. I finally locked the caravan door at 04.00pm leaving it in a pristine condition and reflecting on what a great week we had all enjoyed.

ROLL ON LADS WEEK 2007

Photos will be added when young Snatcher gets his ass into gear :)

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Snatcher

Gret report mate and thanks for sending the pictures. Let me know next time your up

Friday tea-time for the weekend Ian :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

great report there john :clap2: i was pretty miffed that i could,nt get down on the saturday but good to meet all again on the sunday , i,ll make a point of getting a holiday in early for next year!!

an btw we had 8 tope an 4 huss on ians boat that sun :thumbs::thumbs: hope to meet up with you again the next time i,m down that way .... cheers guy :D

John, Brilliant report mate.. :thumbs: ..were you working for a newspaper in another life ?????? :yeah:

I'm hoping to get down the first or second weekend in Sept...fancy it...we will be camping this time.. :blink: .well, they will, I'll sleep in the back of the car..... :D:D:D

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I will be there the 8/9/10 Sept Norrie :sun: Hopefully we may meet up again at LA before then :sun:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Photos now added :sun:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair