This Saturday at Christchurch Ledge

richi

morning Bill, if you knew how good friends me and Darnsarf are you would realise that the "southern softie" and "mothership"is well within the boundaries of good humour especially as Darnsarf is an out and out Yorkshireman----surely we can have a laugh without others taking offence?

catch reports yes have been posting them every week now for quite some time

kayakfishing is like any other sport ----there are people of all abilities who partake----there are people who are prepared for a 10 mile round paddle to fish a mark while others may think it ludicrace.My intention is not to offend but inspire, that's why we (myself and Darnsarf)have over the course of the last year been chaperoning newbies on many occasions ,that's my contribution to thinking of others.Like I said Bill didn't mean to offend anyone and don't worry the forum is still a friendly place

kiss and make up----no kissing for me thanks ,yuk! :D

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was me quite happy watching this thread go its merry way when apparantly I am accused of bragging and bravado. I like differing opinions but that is kind of personal so think I had better respond. Well it should be better than Eastenders.

Firstly I did not think that any of the conditions we paddled in yesterday was remotely extreme. The only reason I mentioned them was because such an issue had been made of them previously and I genuinly put them up there thinking that people could see that everything was well within limits. Remember it was me asking for a plan B. The figures I quoted were taken from the sailing racing channel on the VHF and the maritime safety and weather warnings. Sea state was slight to moderate at times. They were the facts. Correct me if Im wrong but I think most of the post reffered to fishing.

Richi was right about experience. I would not have taken out a newbie in those conditions. Their are several guys on this site that have been out with me in their early days and I would like to think that they felt they could trust my judgement regarding safety. If anything I am the mother hen monitoring the weather and generally keeping an eye out. Between the group of 3 yesterday we had 2 kayaking instructors and the novice of the party had shown an ability to paddle every weekend get thrown out a yak by an angry Tope and most importantly climb back in. When I heard via the VHF that there was going to be gusts up to force 6 I asked Richi if he was happy, he was and then paddled over to Phooey and did the same, he was happy too. What he didnt realise was that I didnt anchor next to him for the banter, although that was good, but so that I could execute a quick rescue if things did get out of hand (sorry mate). The reality was that local conditions did not get above a 4 and the occaisional 5ft swell was in fact a slow rise and fall rather than breaking waves. The other fact I took into consideration was that if the wind had picked up, it and the falling tide would have taken us straight onto the beach. Now everytime I do a write up I can include all my decision making as well but lets be honest it wont make an interesting read. Needless to say I am not averse to aborting a trip if the assessment demands it. Lulworth being an example. But I will allways paddle to the ability to the weakest paddler which in this group was pretty strong.

There is a safety issue raised here. Please all you river paddlers dont for a second think that rivers are safer than the sea. Eddies, snags, undercurrents, banks that won't allow a wet exit and the ability for a river to change its character within minutes or just around the bend should not be under estimated, trust me, on this I do have a tale to tell. I dont have the figures but my guess is that there are far more yakers injured in rivers than in the sea. The only reason most of them aren't fatal is because most are part of organised events that have bank safety in place.

A novice by definition will not stay a novice forever and while there are dozens of threads on here that help the new guy most of which both Richi and myself have fully supported we need to also cater for the guys who now get out every weekend and are beginning to move the sport on. I do not count myself in this but refer to the Tope guys and those fishing the deep waters for Skate etc. The answer is to push the boundries but as safely as possible. We will always need people to wave the safety flag, it is a good thing but lets not let it restrict the developement, enjoyment and challenge for others.

By the time I posted this lot Richi had added his so some duplication Im afraid.

Have to say I didn't realise I could be this serious must love the sport. Bill respect! :thumbs:;) But definately no tongues. :P

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hiya Darnsarf.

It wasnt meant to be personal, but was a perfect example of some of the dramatics that do get posted and then viewed by newbies, or visitors to this forum.

Those who have no idea of your personal kayaking skills, will view some of the content and think it ok to go out and paddle in the same conditions.

The boats we use arnt designed for this kind of use, they are not Sea kayaks propper.

But in the hands of an Experienced paddler, may scrape along.

Do you not see where Im comming from here, its not good practice.

Most here are very aware of the efforts you and Richi go to , to look after the newer paddlers, and its a credit to you.

But sadly not ALL the newbies are in your area to bennifit from your knowlage, and on hand help, but they WILL read your posts, and everyone elses.

Thats the point Im trying to make, being a bit more thoughtfull about what we post, and think about the content of the post.

All the war stories are for around the camp fire :D

I hope you can understand what Im trying to say.

Bill.

Bill. I respect your opinions and usually agree with them. On this we will have to differ. Hey but thats what makes life so varied and interesting. I think inspiration is also important. Not that i have ever seen myself in this role.

Believe it or not I post on here to relax. I do not intend to become super PC. Other users are more than capable of making their own mind up. Some will think what we did was rash and that is OK. Some will think "Ive been out in worse" thats also OK. All will form their own opinions lets not deny them the right. What I will say is I will only state fact with no embelishment. As i said I posted quite innocently thinking it would placate some of the concerns previously raised. I think it would be wrong to do otherwise.

Hopefully we can paddle together one day and I think you will find me incredibly safety concious but, unfortunately it is tainted with an incureable drive for adventure. Drives me mad!! :D

Hi Darnsarf.

As you say people will make up thier own minds.

I have just made mine up too...........there is no fekin way you and I will ever paddle together in a force 12 with 5ft swells. :D

I fail to see how you can possibly fish efficeiently, and with any comfort.

Each to thier own.

But......as you say, some will think it rash others may aspire to your adventures.

Lets hope that the ones who also crave adventure make it back home to shore.

Stay safe. :thumbs:

Bill. :)

JUst for the record it was a force 4 at worst. With the worst swells at 5ft, most 2-4ft.

Shame you wont give it a go you might be pleasantly suprised.

We fished for 6 hours and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Shame no Tope but maybe another day.

As for danger the tragedy is that there will be a fatality its only a matter of time. I can guarantee it will not be one of us or probably anyone off this site. Largely thanks to you Bill. :thumbs:

dra·mat·ics ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dr-mtks)

n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

The art or practice of acting and stagecraft.

Dramatic or stagy behavior: Cut the dramatics and get to the point

I think you need a dictionary Bill or you are likely to offend more people.Bragging and bravado also infer lying to some degree and words like that will surely offend---there is an upside though,you have roused Darnsarf into some truly spectacular writing---in fact this quote from him has it all in a nutshell :thumbs:

A novice by definition will not stay a novice forever and while there are dozens of threads on here that help the new guy most of which both Richi and myself have fully supported we need to also cater for the guys who now get out every weekend and are beginning to move the sport on. I do not count myself in this but refer to the Tope guys and those fishing the deep waters for Skate etc. The answer is to push the boundries but as safely as possible. We will always need people to wave the safety flag, it is a good thing but lets not let it restrict the developement, enjoyment and challenge for others.

:clap::clap::clap:

also agree about the rivers bieng dangerous places---I remember an instructor who went out in her yak in a grade 6 rapid and ----hang on this may be dramatic better stop! ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

There is danger all around us and just to prove it my lad broke his elbow to the extreme yesterday afternoon on an inflatable slide, so no fishing for me yesterday or today, just an operation for my lad which he thankfully came out of no worse for wear at 1pm this morning, 4 hours of disturbed sleep on a zip bed next to him with a kid hurling every 20 minutes setting off the ward alarms and I was awoken by a pretty nurse opening all the windows which I was asleep under. The rest of my days fishing was spent in the hospital waiting to be released.

4 Wires, cast to be changed in a week, 4 weeks wires removed, 4 weeks with a new plaster 2 weeks of physio.

That puts pay to our fishing on the Malibu 2 XL and swimming and Centre Pacs.

I'm a strong believer in fate, if it's gonna get ya, it will get ya, regardless of what or where you are.

But it doesn't harm to play safe, therefore I didn't go down the slide... not even once... but then again my 2 year old was on it all afternoon :D

Slightly of thread, but I felt the need :)

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com