Mull of Galloway

Snatcher

Firstly the bad news,had my sons digital camers with me for this one and took what I thought were ok pictures. My son downloaded them earlier and found that they were all blurred. I must have been using the wrong settings :(

May still stick them on anyway to give you some idea !

Arrived Friday teatime and fed the wild boars on the way in. They are in a field just about 400yds inland from Terally Bay. Five of them came to the gate this time. Awesome things.

Back to the fishing. Parked down in East Tarbet bay and my good lady decided she fancied a walk north along the cliffs. Pleasaant walk and I made a mental note of some decent looking marks :) - as you do!On getting back to the car the girls decided to catch some rays so I took this oppertunity and grabbed my fishing gear and did a shoot. I headed south past the boat ramp and followed the track which runs about halfway down the cliff. Found a nice fishing platform into deep water after a 10 min walk. I suppose the mark is about halfway between East Tarbet and the "flat rock" mark.

Set up the light spinning gear with mackerel in mind and cast out a silver spinner. This coincided with a big high tide as well. After a few casts was into a big mackerel,got another on the second cast as well then the shoal must have moved on because I touched nothing else for another 15 mins. Kept alternating between a spinner and a Snatcher sandeel fished behind a drilled bullet. Both took mackerel but the sport was sporadic.It took me about 2.5 hours to catch 20 fish which had been preordered by a couple of folk. All the mackerel were of a good size apart from 2 joeys which I managed to shake off without touching them. Also took 3 small pollack which lived to fight another day :)

Sat night took it easy on the ale stakes as I was getting up for a 02.30 start Sunday am for a bass attempt,and I was driving! The motley crew who arrived at my caravan was Colin and Roger(two fellow caravan owners on the site) and Linda,a female angler who was having a weeks holiday on the Clash site with a mate of hers.

We arrived at a preordained spot on the Luce Bay side about an hour before high water. I had on my favourite Yozuri Aile Magnet popper and first cast had a fish slash at it :) Linda also missed a fish. After that there was no more action until first light when a bass hit my popper with some force. It gave a good account of itself on light gear and took line a couple of times. It weighed in at just over 3lbs. I was well chuffed as it was my first bass of the season. Linda took a picture of me with the fish (blurred) :angry:

I then decided to catch the sunrise on my sons camera. It was a beautiful sunrise and I took 3 pictures of the sun rising behind the Galloway mountains (all blurred) :angry: damm!!! I must learn the correct settings for my my next excapade :) The rest of the team blanked so we headed back to the caravan site about 06.30.I cracked a couple of tins with Roger before hitting the sack for a few hours.

It had been a good weekend with a bagful of big mackerel and my first bass of the season. Its just a shame a made a mess of the photography :(

Not to worry back over 04Aug and I promise to learn how to use the camera for next time :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Snatcher

Sounds like a grest trip, are there any touring sites near there as I wouldn;t mind bringing the van up next year for a week.

We are having to write off this year due to Sue's Mum's Illness.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Snatcher

Sounds like a grest trip, are there any touring sites near there as I wouldn;t mind bringing the van up next year for a week.

We are having to write off this year due to Sue's Mum's Illness.

Tony

Yes Tony New England Bay is only about 2/3 miles north of Drummore and takes on tourers. You have mint fishing on your doorstep. Also Martin the owner of Clashwhannon caravan park also lets the odd tourer on. I will have a word for you if you are interested. There are toilet/shower block facilities and a pub on the site which does really good food :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Snatcher,

glad you got one with the yo-zuri(took your advice and am waiting for delivery!)

Can't believe you made it for 02:30-this is a different animal to the one we saw.

As for photos:Here are some from that great week we spent with you recently:

First off -sunrise at Luce bay 04:30 (excuse the plastic logs)

ResizeofKIF_0065.jpg

Even a shot of the famous lure you so kindly lent me-

ResizeofKIF_0068.jpg

Finally a very late sunset( 22:00 )from East tarbett bay,where we also had a great spinning session when seeking shelter from that wind-

ResizeofKIF_0095.jpg

Cheers mate,

Jon.

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

nice report there snatch, :D still cant believe you got out the sack at that time though , but congrats on the bass , i,ll not be down with my crew the next trip with ian , so i,ll prob miss you , but might catch you up at LA soon...hopefully :D:D

John, Great report mate, really enjoyed reading it....I/we are down with Ian on the 29th......hopefully get a Tope ...at last !!!!! :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

John, Great report mate, really enjoyed reading it....I/we are down with Ian on the 29th......hopefully get a Tope ...at last !!!!! :D:D

Tight lines on the tope front Norrie :) I would normally have been over to my van that weekend but tack4(big Andrew) and the kids are coming over to Whitley Bay that weekend and are staying at mine. The younguns are fishing the Fladden Junior Open on the Sunday afternoon. I should be a great comp. I am sure Andrew will be posting a report up :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Snatcher,

glad you got one with the yo-zuri(took your advice and am waiting for delivery!)

Can't believe you made it for 02:30-this is a different animal to the one we saw.

As for photos:Here are some from that great week we spent with you recently:

First off -sunrise at Luce bay 04:30 (excuse the plastic logs)

ResizeofKIF_0065.jpg

Even a shot of the famous lure you so kindly lent me-

ResizeofKIF_0068.jpg

Finally a very late sunset( 22:00 )from East tarbett bay,where we also had a great spinning session when seeking shelter from that wind-

ResizeofKIF_0095.jpg

Cheers mate,

Jon.

Sorry Musket I did not reply to you mate. Glad you have turned to the light side on the popper front. May the force be with you :)

"Different animal" - I have feelings you know :lol: Yes I was on the water for 03.00,must do it on a more regular basis cos it paid off . Keep us updated on the popper front,bet you outfish your buddies with it :sun:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair