Butterflies a plenty

Guest Jaybee

Guest Jaybee

A few shots from last couple of days. The warm, humid weather has really prompted a butterfly bonanza

Small tortoiseshell

smallt1.jpg

Small white

white6.jpg

Meadow brown

mb1.jpg

Green-veined white

white10.jpg

Marble white

marbled_white-00009.jpg

I dont own a macro lens yet as I want to ensure when I do, I get a good one. I always end up a trifle confused when I go to read up on macro lens and their capabilities. I read about ratios and size of lens and see either short dumpy one or longer ones, I just cant seem to figure out the differences, its easy for me to figure a telephoto or wide angle lens, but when reading up on macro lens telephoto seems to come into play quite a bit. Can anyone give an informed view or guide to a wannabe macro lens user?

TIA

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Wonderful shots Jaybee, as always, a pleasure to view them.

I love the Green veined white, it has a 3D quality to it that gives the flutterby real substance.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Guest Jaybee
I dont own a macro lens yet as I want to ensure when I do, I get a good one. I always end up a trifle confused when I go to read up on macro lens and their capabilities. I read about ratios and size of lens and see either short dumpy one or longer ones, I just cant seem to figure out the differences, its easy for me to figure a telephoto or wide angle lens, but when reading up on macro lens telephoto seems to come into play quite a bit. Can anyone give an informed view or guide to a wannabe macro lens user?

TIA

Steve...:)

I for obvious reason can't praise the Tamron 180 and 90 lens enough.

Both are affordable, both are true 1:1 and both give outstanding results.

Both also have a sliding collare around lens barrel that allows you to instantly move lens between auto focus and manual.

If push came to shove the 180 does have the edge in allowing you a little more working distance and has a tripod mounting collar.

Excellent detail on those. The Marbled White is one that I haven't even seen, we don't get them around Hastings as far as i know.

I have a Tamron 90 and can also recommend it. Excellent lens and easy to use.

Well done!

Guest Jaybee
P6260029.jpg

nice jaybee got to get my self a DSLR . Lots of marbled whites here and an influx of painted ladies this week cant get near enough to get a shot though :sun:

Nice side shot of the MW dogfish.

I was photographing them a couple of weeks ago at the only place around here where they breed. Try as I may I couldnt get any shots in the wings closed position (must have ben to warm for them)

Painted ladies and small coppers are non existant here - normally we have thousands.

marbled_white-00009.jpg