Cyprus - Protaras

yorkshirerob

:cool: Hello all i was just wondering if any of you have had any experience of fishing in Cyprus at all ? Going in 2 weeks and i am sure i have earnt enough brownie points to escape the tourist thing/wife and kids for a couple of sessions out on a boat. Not sure of what tackle to take for shore fishing has anyone got any suggestions - cheers Rob. :D

Hi yorkshirerob and welcome to AnglersNet.

Use the search feature and check the Sea Fishing section for the term Cyprus and you'll find several previous threads dealing with your question.

Any specifics you want more information on after that, just ask but that should give you some good background information.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Welcome yorkshirerob,like Newt said try the search function first.

Mullet will be the most common fish off the shore with the occasional snapper. Only fished it once but done well. Tight lines

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've fished and dived extensively in Cyprus, I'm here now :) The bad news is that the sea is pretty much wiped out. Fun can be had in the harbours with mullet, usual UK tactics will work, but literally millions of fry/small species will make it very hard work with soft baits. I've only caught golden-greys of up to a 1lb, but don't know if other types of mullet are present. Other species include two banded bream and bass, the latter being the same species found in UK waters.

In years and years of fishing, I've caught a few decent fish from the shore on toby-type spoons. If you're very lucky, you might connect with amberjack, barracuda or even a small tuna, but the odds are VERY small.

If anyone has had different experiences of Cyprus sea fishing, I'd love to hear about it.

A better bet would be to head to one of the freshwater dams for carp and largemouth bass fishing. I've some success with the latter on a ultralight spinning gear this trip, caught 16 in one evening, though nothing larger than 12oz.

[ 13. April 2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Sipadan ]

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Done well with large mullet and a red snapper to the west of Phaphos,near the Coral Bay area.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Heard good things about the reservoir fishing in Cyprus, particularly if you fancy a shot at largemouth bass. Chris and Sue Harris (Harris Angling) thought it worth a trip. Sadly the local water authority seems to be playing fast and loose with water supplies and whole reservoirs have had their fish stocks carelessly killed off.

Sea fishing inshore is as you'd expect to find around all of the med islands ie pretty much fished out other than shoals of tiny brightly coloured inedible fish. Offshore usually is much better if you can find a decent boat and skipper.

Heres a good website, although the list of seafish that they suggest you might catch is more than a trifle ambitious. Personally I'd just take a couple of light/medium lure rods and a handful of spoons, spinners and crankbaits and head for the hills.

http://agrino.org/fishing/

Incidentally, catch, kill and eat/dump everything seems to be the policy judging by some of the photos on that site.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

quote:

Incidentally, catch, kill and eat/dump everything seems to be the policy judging by some of the photos on that site. [/QB]
Yes it is. I've seem some stuff which is pretty hard to swallow, like finding a LARGE carrier bag stuffed full of dead/nearly dead carp on the bank right next to the waters edge. Efforts to revive any failed. Likewise, the chap on the website with 103 dead largemouths. I take the odd one for the BBQ, but 103 fish(?), that's just senseless.

Litter is another issue, but what can you do when it's not even your country.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

hi yorkshirerob,

im off to larnaca on sunday ,mainly to visit my farther who now lives there ,but also to get out on his new boat and have a go at a bit of offshore fishing ,LUCKY LUCKY ME, will let you know how i get on im back on the 28th so hopefully will post before you go :):) :cool: