Something interesting on BBC for a change

snakey1

BBC1 19:00 Sunday 30th July Great Whites in Great Britain, might make some interesting watching for any of you guys not out fishing at the time.

In a similar vein a business man has just spent app £10000 chartering a boat for 2 weeks off cornwall to look for great white sharks he took along a south african expert on white sharks to help him, from what i've read they were unsuccessful but one thing they did find worried them and that was the lack of porbeagle sharks present in the waters at the time.Perhaps we should be looking at doing more to protect this magnificent fish as well as other more popular species.

BBC1 19:00 Sunday 30th July Great Whites in Great Britain, might make some interesting watching for any of you guys not out fishing at the time.

In a similar vein a business man has just spent app £10000 chartering a boat for 2 weeks off cornwall to look for great white sharks he took along a south african expert on white sharks to help him, from what i've read they were unsuccessful but one thing they did find worried them and that was the lack of porbeagle sharks present in the waters at the time.Perhaps we should be looking at doing more to protect this magnificent fish as well as other more popular species.

Thanks for the heads-up Snakey1, SeaDOo, dont forget to watch ;):sun:

Edited by Prowler

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

.........and just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water :(

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

In one of my shark books that I used to avidly read I remember coming across the statement that the Bristol Channel used to have plenty of great whites until they left during the industrial revolution - I think driven off by the pollution. personally it would not surprise me if one did turn up - I am more surprised that one hasn't. It's a temperate rather than tropical shark from memory, and is common enough in the Med. have any been caught off Western France?

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Not sure if they have been caught off western france but they are well documented in the med and have to get in there some how(i seem to remember something about the med being a possible breeding/birthing region perhaps this is why although less in number as a a whole than other regions a larger percentage of the shark attacks in the med than normal are fatal and the victim is consumed possibly being down to pregnent females not feeding in the last weeks until they have given birth as some fish do. although i stand to be corrected on this fact as shark biology is just a hobby of mine not a profession.)I personally would love to see white sharks off our coastline (i cannot see a reason why there shouldn't be, water temperatures are high enough and there are enough marine mammels around our coast to sustain them in fact it is only their scarcity due to over fishing in the 70's JAWS hayday by so called "sports fishermen" that i can see for their not being here) but i would fear for the knee jerk response to a qualified siteing as these sharks are not protected around the british coast and no doubt people fearing for the state of the tourist trade would drive them back to extinction in our waters.In saying this if there are white sharks around our coastline its going to make kayak fishing a lot more interesting. :)

ResizeofKIF_0165.jpg

Talking of sharks:

Like paintfly I was camping/fishing in cornwall recently(mother iveys bay:excellent launch and fishing) and saw a fin cutting through the deep water near the padstow lifeboat."Ah basking shark.. "I thought,then got momentarily concerned as the water erupted with bait fish!-

Presumably these fish didn't realise it wasn't after them, or may be there were bass hunting underneath, anyway I was a little relieved when I saw the enormous mouth open and sieving through the water.There were actually two sharks out there ,the biggest one dwarfed the 13'kayak and at one stage turned and came straight at me : :blink: (photo above) then submerged under the middle of the prowler ! 10'-13' one side and the same the other.I'm glad it seemed to be aware of me and didn't chose that moment to surface.

Only my family were aware of it on the beach-my four year old said over the radio"don't let it eat you dad!!"

A brilliant experience : :yeah:

ResizeofKIF_0162.jpg

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

ResizeofKIF_0165.jpg

Talking of sharks:

Like paintfly I was camping/fishing in cornwall recently(mother iveys bay:excellent launch and fishing) and saw a fin cutting through the deep water near the padstow lifeboat."Ah basking shark.. "I thought,then got momentarily concerned as the water erupted with bait fish!-

Presumably these fish didn't realise it wasn't after them, or may be there were bass hunting underneath, anyway I was a little relieved when I saw the enormous mouth open and sieving through the water.There were actually two sharks out there ,the biggest one dwarfed the 13'kayak and at one stage turned and came straight at me : :blink: (photo above) then submerged under the middle of the prowler ! 10'-13' one side and the same the other.I'm glad it seemed to be aware of me and didn't chose that moment to surface.

Only my family were aware of it on the beach-my four year old said over the radio"don't let it eat you dad!!"

A brilliant experience : :yeah:

ResizeofKIF_0162.jpg

AWESOME !! :clap:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

SOD OFF!!!! :lol:

I will be under a duvet asking tell Steph to tell me when the bad man has gone away!! God sends a shiver down mi spine :yucky:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

In case you miss it Dave, :sun: No worries, I'll video it for you LOL

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15