I Thought We Were Living In More Enlightened Times.

MJB

:clap2: Unless the boat has a licence to sell fish the angler or skipper are breaking the law, unless of course, they gave the fish away. Why kill it, what a waste. I caught a porbeagle on Friday and after measuring and tagging it was returned to the sea. I have the pictures, that's all I need. :clap2:

The way I read the skippers first report indicates the party had decided that the first shark was coming home anyway, dead in the water or battered on the deck. :(

I do remain sympathetic towards the skipper though, it's obvious he's more caring than most. I do think ground rules need to be set, prior to booking, to avoid the situation arising.

Nice smilies, but did you read what the skipper's report. Having had some experience of newspaper reporting Iam inclined to believe his version.

By the wayI wonder how long your porbeagle lived after you released it!

:clap2: I don't know how long it lived or how long it will live but a shark returned alive has more chance of surviving than a dead one. :clap2:

You might like to visit the skippers website to get the full story before making brash statementsShark report

Martin

:clap2: I have visited the skipper's website and now I know who the skipper is, I believe the skippers side of the story. Having fished with Steve and knowing how conservation minded he is I've offered him space in the September SAN for a report on the catch and he has kindly accepted. The moral of this story has to be,

" keep your fishing stories for the angling press", the local/national papers are only interested in selling papers, sod the truth. Having said that, by using a fish merchant to prepare their catch and using the local reporter to claim some publicity they were foolish to say the least. I hope a few lessons have been learned here. :clap2:

Keep your catches for "the angling press" Norm?

Yes. I`d believe Steve Porter; rather than the local rag. But what was the angler thinking of when he posed at the fish factory? :headhurt:

When my local club used to have an anual 5 day Looe trip, we always landed our catch at the fish market. Then `Bill the butcher` would fillet them and pack them in dry ice for us. Fiver a box!

Imagine the fuss that would cause in the present climate. "Anglers land their catch at local fish market"!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Keep your catches for "the angling press" Norm?

Yes. I`d believe Steve Porter; rather than the local rag. But what was the angler thinking of when he posed at the fish factory? :headhurt:

When my local club used to have an anual 5 day Looe trip, we always landed our catch at the fish market. Then `Bill the butcher` would fillet them and pack them in dry ice for us. Fiver a box!

Imagine the fuss that would cause in the present climate. "Anglers land their catch at local fish market"!

:clap2: Hi Paul, glad to see you're still about, long time no see or hear. As I said, not wise to use the local fish merchant or the local press, I hope some lessons will have been learned here, by all. :clap2: