Mikec

Now we are in 2009 we are really seeing the benefit of the Bass minimum size limit being raised to 45cm. I have never seen so many large bass around. Marks where I have targeted plate sized bass for the last 20 years are now producing kg plus fish. I admit I was wrong. Well done everyone who campaigned so hard for the increase?

It is of course still 2006 but the phenomenal increase in larger bass on the south coast is fact. The price of 400-600g fish is edging up and close to kg fish. It is only the ‘tradition’ of paying more for larger fish that has kept the price of smalls down. My own business is actually paying more for these fish than for the larger bass due to holiday season demand for plate-sized fish.

If it were 2009 all of the campaigners would be claiming a moral victory. It just goes to show have complex fishery management is and the strength of the bass population.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike

Interesting that you should report a phenominal increase in large bass on the South coast.

All I hear about is bass below 2lb in weight.

Could I just ask - in your professional opinion - what size of fish constitutes a 'large' bass.

How heavy or long would a large bass be, as opposed to, say, a medium-sized bass (I'm assuming 'plate-sized' fish are between 36cm and 40cm?).

Could I also ask any anglers out there to quantify the following bass benchmarks -

Schoolie

A fish for the table

Medium-sized bass

Big Bass

I imagine there will be quite a variation in weights or lengths from anglers, based on location and experience. Could you also mention, in your reply, who long you've been sea angling.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

Could I also ask any anglers out there to quantify the following bass benchmarks -

Schoolie

A fish for the table

Medium-sized bass

Big Bass

I imagine there will be quite a variation in weights or lengths from anglers, based on location and experience. Could you also mention, in your reply, who long you've been sea angling.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Steve

To me, a schoolie is anything under about 2.5lbs.

A fish for the table would be anything between 2.5lbs and 4lbs.

A medium size bass would be anything between 5lbs and 7lbs.

A large bass would be anything over 8lbs with a 10lb plus fish being the fish of a lifetime.

Unfortunately I haven't had anything over the schoolie size this year, and only had a few over this size last year.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I'd go along with Steve's weights, schoolies up to 3lbs, table fish for me around 3lb, medium fish 4-7lbs anything bigger is a large bass and a double a lifetime fish.

There was an interesting article in the daily mirror recently, interesting in as much as it was a load of blicks. The journalist stated that there were around 10,000 bass in an area off Bournemouth and that trawlers regularly took 90 tonnes a day. I worked out that if a trawlerman took all 10,000 fish for his 90 tonnes they were an average size of 20.25lbs. Now they're big bass !

Hi Steve

To me, a schoolie is anything under about 2.5lbs.

A fish for the table would be anything between 2.5lbs and 4lbs.

A medium size bass would be anything between 5lbs and 7lbs.

A large bass would be anything over 8lbs with a 10lb plus fish being the fish of a lifetime.

Unfortunately I haven't had anything over the schoolie size this year, and only had a few over this size last year.

Schoolie - undersized

Table fish 36-40 cm

Large bass 3kg +

Go to any fish market - Portsmouth, Rye, West Bay, shoreham and see the Bass being landed. Also note the price of small bass compared to larger fish. Before long 36-40cm will fetch more money than larger.

The water is too clear for netting so most of these fish are line caught or on rods.

Also note the price of small bass compared to larger fish. Before long 36-40cm will fetch more money than larger. The water is too clear for netting so most of these fish are line caught or on rods.

Thanks for that Mike - I just wondered if your perspective on bass size was any different from an angler's (you may be an angler too?).

I do think that you may have hit on something here with your observation on water clarity and method of capture. Line caught fish do fetch the premium prices, especially if they are labelled / marketed as such.

They are a better quality product, both in terms of average size and condition, or so I believe.

One interesting point, if I may....

You don't mention medium-sized fish (your definition of a large bass being 3K plus, which is pretty much in agreement with Steve's and Holmesy's...and mine too)

Most of the longer-term bass anglers that I talk to say that fish over 2 lb are very scarce, particularly the 3 - 8lb (medium) fish. Do you see many of these at market?

Edited by steve pitts