Mikec

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always under the belief that most of the small, borderline if not undersize fish I've seen in the fish mongers were farmed fish ? Certainly the ones Ive seen I would have returned.

There is considerable evidence to suggest that the average size of wild bass has been deminished over the past few years.

One of the reasons for my question is that anglers of say, two or three years experience, have come to accept 1 and 2lb bass as being the norm.... a 3 or 4lb fish being quite big and a 5 or 6lb fish as being very big.

Commercial catch stats also show that the bulk of landings are now comprising of 36-48 cm fish and whilst the tonnage remains more or less static (in Wales it has more than halved in 5 years since 1999), more, smaller fish are required and the value per tonne is decreasing.

Edited by steve pitts

I would go like this for my area, southern Thames Estuary, Medway and Thames.

Schoolie : Undersize

A fish for the table : 4-6Lb

Medium-sized bass 7-10Lb

Big Bass 10Lb+

So far we are all similar.

Before long 36-40cm will fetch more money than larger.

With any luck they won't because they'll be classed as undersized and as we know undersized fish don't realise proper money when sold round the back of Mr Wongs China Palace.

The events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to any person living or dead is merely coincidental. :rolleyes:

With any luck they won't because they'll be classed as undersized and as we know undersized fish don't realise proper money when sold round the back of Mr Wongs China Palace.

The events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to any person living or dead is merely coincidental. :rolleyes:

Hello Sharkbyte

They will still be worth the same, but only to the French.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Probably heading a little off thread here, but I think it would be better if we did allow commercial fishermen to land undersize fish. Count those fish against the quota rather than as bycatch and everything that was caught would count, quotas would be met earlier and there'd be more fish in the sea. Naive I know but imagine if even the weavers and scorpions caught were sold for soup etc, hopefully they'd make a living and we'd have more fish to angle for. I think they do something similar in Iceland and they seem to have a properly managed resource, though you don't justify your existence if you just copy somebody elses plan, you need to develop your own.

Probably heading a little off thread here, but I think it would be better if we did allow commercial fishermen to land undersize fish. Count those fish against the quota rather than as bycatch and everything that was caught would count, quotas would be met earlier and there'd be more fish in the sea.

There isn't any quota on bass. The only protection they get is the MLS, which is flouted relentlessly and badly needs raising.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest muttley
What no cats up trees today Steve?

Dont mock....you might need Steve or his friends one day...although i sincerly hope you dont as I did 7 years ago.

There isn't any quota on bass. The only protection they get is the MLS, which is flouted relentlessly and badly needs raising.

For someone with so much time on your hands and such a passion for bass you know so little.

The Uk commercial sector has a weekly maximum landing of bass of 5 tonnes or 15 tonnes a month if by prior arrangement.

If the current MLS is 'flouted relentlessly' what difference would an increased limit make? Surely better enforcement is the answer.