Mikec

The Uk commercial sector has a weekly maximum landing of bass of 5 tonnes or 15 tonnes a month if by prior arrangement.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the pair trawl fishery Mikec? Even if you were right, when you think that the sole quota for under 10's is between 1 and 2 tonnes per month, 5 tonnes of bass per week isn't a quota, it's a target.

For someone who likes to give the impression that he is a commercial fisherman, you really ought to know these things.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Uk commercial sector has a weekly maximum landing of bass of 5 tonnes or 15 tonnes a month if by prior arrangement.

The landing limits were meant to restrict the landings of the pair trawlers.

Unlike quota which sets an upper limit on the entire amount of fish that can be landed to ensure that the fishing on a particular stock remains sustainable, the landing limit is per boat, so the amount of fish that can be landed depends on just how many boats decide to go for bass, whether the stock can take it or not.

My understanding is that few boats ever make their 5 tonne a week allowance, so the limit has little real effect.

It was originally bought in by the french in the early days of the bass pair trawl fishery as an economic measure to protect the value of the smaller landings of the french inshore boats.

By the time that the UK also adopted the limits for UK boats, few were catching that amount per week by then.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Are you sure you aren't talking about the pair trawl fishery Mikec? Even if you were right, when you think that the sole quota for under 10's is between 1 and 2 tonnes per month, 5 tonnes of bass per week isn't a quota, it's a target.

For someone who likes to give the impression that he is a commercial fisherman, you really ought to know these things.

Taken from my Category A (10 metre and nder licence : Annexe (9199)

Under other species and I quote from Part ii : Quota limitations Other Species

Bass All Areas 5 tonnes per week or upon issue of a Bass Notice of Variation, 15 tonnes per calender month.

Its a quota. Defra don't do targets! After 5 tonne you kick the rest over the side to remain within the law. However, whoes counting?

They put it there because they don't have a seperate section for landing limits.

If you think it's a quota Mike, try putting up your 'bass quota' for sale and see what kind of response you get. LOL!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

They put it there because they don't have a seperate section for landing limits.

If you think it's a quota Mike, try putting up your 'bass quota' for sale and see what kind of response you get. LOL!

Semantics again. It says quota on the licence but you can call it what you like. It gives me legal rights to kill as many of the plentiful large bass that I can find.

Semantics again. It says quota on the licence but you can call it what you like. It gives me legal rights to kill as many of the plentiful large bass that I can find.

You can legally kill as many as you like anyway Mike.

The landing limit just gives you the right to land up to 5 tonne per week.

Whereas I can land as much as I like, and sell them quite legally (so long as they are over 36cm, maybe 45cm next month)

But I find that 100 tonne fills the bean trenches nicely.

Shame that is less fish left for you to catch and sell ;)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

It gives me legal rights to kill as many of the plentiful large bass that I can find.

So it's not a quota then is it. Have a look in the dictionary at what a quota is Mikec, then come back and tell me whether there is a quota on bass.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

You can legally kill as many as you like anyway Mike.

The landing limit just gives you the right to land up to 5 tonne per week.

Whereas I can land as much as I like, and sell them quite legally (so long as they are over 36cm, maybe 45cm next month)

But I find that 100 tonne fills the bean trenches nicely.

Shame that is less fish left for you to catch and sell ;)

Oh you have missed out the beauty of the sea fish industry. As long as there is less fish for everyone the price goes up and I earn the same for handling less fish. Happy smiling stupid childish round face thing

I couldn't find you on the sellers and buyers register so stop selling them. Or at least let me give you a price. Bent bass about £3.00kg.

Oh you have missed out the beauty of the sea fish industry. As long as there is less fish for everyone the price goes up and I earn the same for handling less fish. Happy smiling stupid childish round face thing

I couldn't find you on the sellers and buyers register so stop selling them. Or at least let me give you a price. Bent bass about £3.00kg.

DEFRA have confirmed that I don't need to register Mike and I can sell fish to whoever I want to :)

Leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Oh you have missed out the beauty of the sea fish industry. As long as there is less fish for everyone the price goes up and I earn the same for handling less fish.

Now let me get this right, because some of you are way to clever for me, and what's more some of you know the facts...

Limited fish landed (is this a bit like a quota?) = high price

Few fish in the sea to catch = difficult = expensive

so therefore, lots of fish in the sea = easy = cheap = higher net profits

Fish in the sea = an industry and a living to be made, today, tomorrow and for their children.

Don't they do this sort of thing off the Faroe Islands? Now they're a clever bunch.