Starting out

kavemanjock

Hi all,

I want to start shore fishing along with my 13 year old son but have never done it before. Could anyone suggest any good beginner setups that are not to expensive. Also any recomended books videos/dvd's that can help.

I will probably be fishing somewhere on east coast between Bridlington ans Whitby.

Thanks for any help

Tight lines and big catches

Malcolm Thomson

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would respectfully suggest that you start at your LOCAL tackle shop. This is the guy who probably will be supplying your bait on a regular basis. Get to know him and the shop staff. Buy you end tackle from him,(and rod and reel if possible) local shops are vital.If there is more than one shop try all of them you will find your favourite. we have several in Blackpool and 2 of them I wouldnt even think about going in. Listen to other anglers in the shop, as to where fish are being caught and how they are being caught. Tell other anglers you are a novice, anglers in general will be more than happy to help and show you things you need to know, even take you for a fishing session and show you what to do. As for rod and reel, try something like a Ron Thompson rod and reel kit. They are £39.99 and are ideal for a starter set. You can always upgrade later if you like sea angling. If you dont like it you wont lose so much money if you sell it. Check out your local shop they may well sell Ron Thompson stuff.

Good Luck and enjoy your sea angling. Oh by the way DONT be afraid to ask. It does not matter how silly you may think it sounds..... ASK! :D

[ 01. February 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Ian Bass ]

Hi Kavemanjock, Welcome to AN. Ians advice is sound, in respect to using your local shop, I've used the one in Brid a few times when I've been down your way, and cant fault them for advice and good well priced gear, in fact my mate bought a beachcaster there as a spare and is still using it. The bait is always in good nick. For the life of me, I cant remember its name, tho its just a short walk from the front, on the right hand side of the road, heading north out of town.

I hope this is of some help.

Enjoy your fishing.

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

One of the best books I've read for beginners was "Sea Angler Step-by-Step guide to Baits & Rigs" - about £7.99 from Amazon. Otherwise I'd echo the other replies. If you find a quality tackle shop with a good range of stock and a friendly face behind the counter, he's going to be banking on you coming back to him time after time for your tackle and bait, so they should be willing to spend some time giving you the help you need.

kavemanjock:

Hi all,

I want to start shore fishing along with my 13 year old son but have never done it before.

Hi there, you could take a look at www.northseaangling.info loads of anglers from your neck of the woods as well as come club info.

I would join a club in your area for hands on advice, second hand tackle, local knowledge and some fishing buddies to guide you through casting etc.

I don't know what your Son is like but kids get bored easily so it may be an idea to keep the sessions fairly short to start with unless you are catching megga fish :D

Welcome to AN and tight lines

Alan(nl)

[ 02. February 2004, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

kavemanjock:

alan the link you posted will not work.

Thnks

Malcolm

Sorry about that try http://northeastseangling.info/

Hope it works

Alan(nl)

Still not working :confused: desfordsas@aol.com runs it, drop him an email for the correct address. :confused: :confused: :confused:

[ 04. February 2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hi Kavemanjock

North East Angling

Alan told me your having problems accessing the above site.

Try again using the above link.

When you get on I think Cozy is the man for information in your area.

Good Luck on your driving test.

[ 04. February 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: John E Ashford ]

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

quote:

desfordsas@aol.com runs it, drop him an email for the correct address.
Alan I don't run the North East Angling Forum, I just add comments like I do on other Forums.

If any one has any sea fishing enquiries I will help in what ever way I can. desfordsas@aol.com

O by the way I will give you a Shilling for your thoughts

I do run the Desford Sea Angling Society and if any one is interested, pop into our site for photos of our Sea Fishing Adventures

Desford Sea Angling Society

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

I have a friend who fishes off Brid pier

don't worry about casting far, a 20yard cast out should get you into fish, use rag worm, lug worm macheral strips of even muscles and you'll get fish.

plenty of whiting are showing and the occasional cod.

one point to note is that he uses spark plugs as wieghts, the bottom is snaggy and he finds this cheaper on his pocket than having to buy a few leads for every session.

Attach them using a loop of wire and some line weeker than your main line, then you lose the spark plug and not any fish that take your bait.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY