BBC's Trawlermen

ColinW

Guest challenge
There is a hell of a lot of m,oney to be made at time from commercial fishing both legally and illegally.

The sales of black fish, like fish taken after the quota is reached and undersized fish is worth so much that a lot of commercials can not afford to be straight.

I have heard that some fishing families that go back generations are worth millions,(although most are bankrupt due to no fish) this money was earnt from the sea and is now being used to fund the propergander campaign.

And do you honestly believe that this series (trawler men) is apart of this campaign Sam?

If so the commercial fishermen involved have been far cleverer than many give them credit for?

Manipulating the BBC into splashing out a load of the tax payers money(RSA tax payers money come to that) in filming a totally biased programme on behalf of the commercial fisherman’s never ending campaign to undermined the recreational sea anglers views.

And there was me thinking it was supposed to be about a few honest men trying to make a living doing what they love doing and what drives them to do it?

This stealth attack campaign by the enemy within, surly cannot get much nastier than this Sam?

I don’t know what to say, how can you fight such an obviously well informed well organised and well administered dirty campaign such as this?

I’ve got it, lets all contact the BBC and ask them to explain there stupidity on letting such a thing happen.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its far from stupid, the commercial fishermen and fishing companies are very clever and I will step back an inch and say that it probably wasn’t planned as part of a campaign but I bet that a lot of commercial fishermen were very happy with the portrayal.

For decades governments have been to frightened to stand up to the commercial fishermen, for decades governments have been told in fact screamed at about over fishing. But none have had the balls to act upon advice govern, none have wanted to upset the commercials in fear of upsetting the public who love captain birds eye who risks life and limb to put cod and chips on the table

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I think anglers should all grow big white fluffy beards, wear silly hats and start smoking pipes and saying crap like oooooh, aaarrrrrrrrrrr me hearties. maybe some prat will start to listen then!

I didnt want to mention any names but the names in the link are the same names I have been told about. I was told they are like the ruddy mafia in some parts.(no offence Steve)

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

As I said earlier, I only watched one programme. I found it depressing watching that great big trawler struggling to find fish, and then seeing the dregs of what's left in the sea dragged to the surface. The fishermen's excitement at what was, in my opinion, a **** poor catch didn't help matters either. It just proved how bad things have become and how they will keep going until there is nothing left.

I know that some forum users found it interesting, and that's fair enough, but it hardly showed commercial fishing in a good light. Seeing huge boats bristling with the latest technology struggling to find anything worth landing doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I would have been happier if it had shown that the sea is still full of quality fish, like we are often told it is.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

We are only told this by commercial fishermen who are in denial of over fishing.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Two of the world's super-trawlers are owned by an Irish company.

Of unimaginable scale when compared to Wurzel's boat, or the fishing boats that we see bobbing picturesquely alongside the quay in quaint cornish harbours.

They literally hoover up vast quantities of pelagic fish.

The Veronica and the Atlantic Dawn.

adawn.gif

Celebrated at launch, both ships have gained a notoriety around the world.

Until a short time ago Atlantic Dawn was fishing Mauritanian waters, until a government coup ended the agreement, and the plunder of local stocks.

Now she sails off the coast of Chile, 1,000 miles out, for jack mackerel.

Veronica went down to the south, aiming to catch fish for feeding 'farmed' tuna (actually captured wild tuna 'grown-on' in pounds) but Australians would have none of her in their waters and now there are rumours that she will be converted to seisemic survey work.

What has any of this to do with us?

Well the Irish company that owns these vessels is entitled to EU quota, and soon the Atlantic Dawn will be back to quickly remove some of our own fish, as she does each year, before leaving again to spend her time in some other part of the world.

No wonder it is sometimes increasingly difficult for our lads to find fish in our waters that should be teeming.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest challenge

I have never read so much rubbish in my life.

I put on a posting next to Sams to try and show how far fetched this conspiracy theory thing is and people think I am talking serious.

Get a grip. Who do you think you are? Do you think that the NFFO chairman gives a hell what you think glenk? You must think a lot of yourselves if you think that the BBC the government and the commercial fishermen of this country (who would all have to break conspiracy laws) would conspire together to run a campaign to undermined some people who say they represent people who in there spare time fish for fun?

As for the Irish trawlers Leon. They are doing what they where built to do. Built with massive European aide and grants. Fishing for quota that is set by fishery management on scientific advice, for an ever more demanding market throughout the world.

You say Leon that it is increasingly difficult for our lads to find fish in seas that should be teaming? I can assure you that when I was commercial fishing going back 16 years it was not easy to catch fish; we had many hauls like the ones you witnessed on the BBC programme. Why people get this theory that commercial fishing is all dip and fill from is beyond me. We broke many records but we also had our bad weeks too.

A bit like angling.

Fishing for quota that is set by fishery management on scientific advice

You missed out the bit '.....balanced by the needs of fishermen to earn a living and feed their families'

or the many other similar familiar phrases that nearly always means that the scientific advice is routinely watered down considerably.

As for the Irish trawlers Leon. They are doing what they where built to do.

Yes :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust