Prowler Elite 4.5

Alun

Well folks, I have been out in some serious water with the Elite now - both in Ireland and in Wales, and then let John Morgan have a go as his first ever trip on a kayak - within an hour he was paddling out through the 2 metre swells breaking onto the reef on the end of the Gower. OK he wasn't in the breaking bit, but as it was getting dark I got him to follow me out into the edge of the curlers.

The Elite has the same cockpit dimensions as the P13 - 72cm beam at the seat. The Elite falls between the 13 and 15 in length BUT, the entry at the bow is very much finer than on the 13 or the 15 and it is a difficult bit of moulding to make such a narrow entry in rotomoulding.

The bow cuts through nicely and rides over swells/waves better than the P13 but does slap a bit once over the top. It is also has some extra drag from the fishfinder TX mounting in the bottom of the hull. I have yet to fit the fishfinder on the water, but once in the rubber boot it sits very much more streamlined and I can see that the drag will be greatly reduced by having the TX mounted as opposed to an open aperture which the water founts up into - which is where most of this extra drag is coming from.

The footwell scupper holes are also larger diameter than on the early Prolwer 13s and they create some extra drag - but the water drains very quickly. You can't have it both ways.

Paddling is fine - she turns easily, despite her extra length, provided you don't cut corners! (Yes, that was meant.) Use the full potential of your paddle strokes - forward and stern sweeps will have her spinning on the spot. In the wind the bow did catch it and it was hard work paddling into a stiff breeze - the lower profile kayaks will always score heavily in this area because there is so much less windage.

Seat - same as the Prowler 13. I think the cargo well is slightly larger - but I haven't measured it, yet.

The Elite is heavier than the P13 and about the same weight as the P15 - so manageable and I can put her on/off the roof solo happily.

I am off to Windermere on Thursday to have a go for the pike and anything else I might find - I will rig the Fish finder and report back as to how much difference having the Tx and boot fitted makes to paddling - i expect it to be significant because it is smooting the water flow over the keel - where any drag is felt the most.

looks like the elite is a winner then , love my prowler 13 but now thinking should i have waited for the elite mmm :headhurt:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you want the dedicated fishfinder set-up.

The Prowler 13 will still work happily, so will the Scupper Pro - especially if you have to negotiate fast tides, strong winds or long paddles. I still have a soft spot for the Scupper Pro.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I have just bought an Elite 4.5 I am very please with it but one thing I am not so confident in is the front hatch. There are slides on the straps only on one side and the buckles that secure it are hard to keep tightened so that they compress the seal. I also feel that a strong wave could lift the front edge and allow water to gradually enter. I have made a butyl drum skin to cover the hatch hole before the hatch goes on.

I just seams to me that when you look in too the hole it represents a single point of failure for the whole kayak and it would only take a short time to swap the kayak if the cover came loose.

Am I being unduly cautious?

What are your experiences of these hatches when the weather catches you out?

Has anyone fitted a more mechanical fixing to these hatch covers?

Cheers

Chris

I have just bought an Elite 4.5 I am very please with it but one thing I am not so confident in is the front hatch. There are slides on the straps only on one side and the buckles that secure it are hard to keep tightened so that they compress the seal. I also feel that a strong wave could lift the front edge and allow water to gradually enter. I have made a butyl drum skin to cover the hatch hole before the hatch goes on.

I just seams to me that when you look in too the hole it represents a single point of failure for the whole kayak and it would only take a short time to swap the kayak if the cover came loose.

Am I being unduly cautious?

What are your experiences of these hatches when the weather catches you out?

Has anyone fitted a more mechanical fixing to these hatch covers?

Cheers

Chris

Where did you buy your prowler elite? and how much if you dont mind me asking?

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Where did you buy your prowler elite? and how much if you dont mind me asking?

No problem.

I got it from Ray at Victoria Pier (Colwyn) www.victoriapierangling.co.uk.

I paid £575 for the Elite 4.5, 2 piece paddle, PFD High visibility with pockets & Rod holder (Scotty type)

Cheers

Chris