Scrambler XT Kayak.......rigged

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakity, I miss it like crazy. Before KosiKot - 4th cottage on left, over crossroads from Rolle Arms on the back road to Otterton. That was first house of my own. When I was growing up I always had water at the bottom of the garden - Mylor Bridge on the Fal, then at Newton Ferrers on the Yealm (pronounced YAM, not yelm). Had my boat moored at the bottom of the garden - and my first Kayak too - but that was way back.

The Yealm estuary is where I used to fish from the Kayak - out to the bar, or if it was calm enough round to Gara Point. Up river was my favourite, baited spooning for the flounders. A cream pot of ragworm lasts a tide on a baited spoon!

Out of interest - what do you wear out in the sea? I do need some proper gear - just making do at the moment with my boating garb. It works. keeps me dry and warm and it is flexible enough to not restrict movement. But an immersion suit it certainly isn't!

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

"Prowler, Did you say you were from Devon??"

No i'm from further south, Jersey, the little 9x5 rock sitting in the English channel, although the coastline is very similar.

P.S thanks for welcoming to the nuthouse I was begining to think I was the only one

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi Simon,

Well when your back down this way, give us a knock :)

Out of interest- what do you wear out in the sea.

I was wearing- base layer of, Helly-Hensen wicking sweatshirt.

Helly-hensen thermal leggings.

Longjohn wet suit.

Semi-dry cag.

Woolen socks.

Neoprene boots ( hard sole )

Have now upgraded for cooler waters.

Useing the same base layers.

Palm extreme dry cag ((waterproof and breathable)

Yal Kahgo Paddling dry trousers.( waterproof and brathable)

Im trying to cover all the angles, by mixing and matching the different clothing to suit the conditions on the day.

Havnt tried the latter items yet, but will be posting how things go, and how comfortable and efficient the choices Ive made are.

If I came across as a rude git on the clothing issues Simon , Im sorry , but I would hate to see any of us in the chit.

I think what we wear out there is as important as the Yak we ride, if not more.

Between us all, we will get it right for everyone.

When we see the pics on the American sites, I think its easey to forget our waters and conditions are a lot different to thiers, mostly.

They have been doing it for more years than us, and are very clued up on thier sport.

We need to remember that, some of thier ideas wont always suit our needs here in the U.K. we must adapt, and amend to get it right for us.

Cheers.

YY :)

The 'chest waders' debate can be a touchy subject on the US forums..those who wear them believe that when they are sealed with a dry cag & waistband they will be ok and this is from some who do paddle in similar conditions to us on the north east coast... however if there is the remotest chance that waders could flood (and there is that chance) then you could be asking for trouble in my opinion.

Perhaps there are inland, shallow waters and rivers where wearing chest waders with your sit on top would make sense.. but most of the people who are checking into these threads are concentrating on inshore fishing where high wicking base layers, neoprene wetsuits/long johns, dry cags, dry trousers and suits seem more appropriate.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I'm almost on the point of clicking 'buy now' for a Kokatat dry suit with relief zipper and goretex booties. Wont be suitable for hot summer days but I have my farmer johns for that! Keep reading that the cheaper nylon based dry suits are not very breathable & some who bought them wished they had the Kokatat instead after trying them out. Can always sell on ebay I guess if it doesn't work out.

Be interesting to hear how you get on with your choice.. if I dont go down the Kokatat route I'll probably follow you and go for the dry top/trouser combo with farmer johns underneath in case it leaks.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow