Scrambler XT Kayak.......rigged

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ST.

The rods are 9ft spinging.

You can get away with shorter rods, depends on the length of your Yak.

The 9ft offers me total control of a fish anywhere around the Yak.

Being sat down in one place fighting a half decent fish, is a bit different to standing on the beach / boat :D

If a fish is very lively, you can use the paddle accross your legs to move the Yak around, braceing the paddle against your body useing one hand , sounds tricky , but actualy easey once youve done it a couple of times.

YY :)

Starvin - how about one of these? Comfortable, easy on/off, float you well and face-up. The picture is a manual one (pull cord) that I think might do better in a yak than one of the auto-inflate-when-wet versions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

YY - I suppose the net location would depend on how you are fishing. I'd probably hook the dang thing about every 2nd cast.

As to the rods - I agree you can place them so you can easily see both tips while you are waiting for a fish. How about if you are dealing with a fish to port and the stbd rod gets a take? I know a boat is no place for any sort of fancy alarm but they make some nice (and cheap) ones that are simply a bell that you can clip on the rod tip.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi everyone,

been quiet recently because I have been working too hard. Back again now though (bad luck!)

YY - your handiwork has been well executed. The milk crate rod holders look good and I like your fluoro visibility.

What have you used to mount your electronics on? It looks like a piece of window sill from double galzing. I can't see from the pictures how you have attached it to the boat though. Is it just toggled in place?

I have found an excellent source of 12v 7amp hour gel batteries - they are used to power rabbiting lamps. Saw an ad in the "Countryman's weekly" - Arthur Carter tel: 02476 454244.

They are "sealed replacement batteries"

12v 7amp hour £16.95 - plenty for a weekend of using a fishfinder, they don't draw that much current. You could run nav lights off that too and still have plenty of juice.

I have still to rig my Prowler with any electronics. I need to fit the Scotty too - with a camera mount! Not having a shed in which to work it has been too bloody cold up here for my southern digits!

I am afraid to admit, but I got one of the French ready made carts for mine - fits the scupper holes. They are aluminium and have quick detachable sand wheels - just pull an R clip. For £50 I couldn't make one for that. The wheels are £15 each - that's £30. Plus say another £10 of materials. I am buggered if I am spending all day making a troley for £10s worth of labour.

Like everyone else I can't wait to get out. Where will go for your plaice YY - I have never caught a plaice. I would love to have a go though. When are they about? I thought they were April/May off the Skerries banks. Where else can you get them close in? Can I come and join you one day?

It won't be long before the bass start showing back inshore - if there any left. On the welsh coast they usually get a few by end of April. Then the black bream arrive...then its summer!

As soon as the weather warms up a bit we'll have to have a get together.

Right, I've got to get off to work in the morning, G'Night all.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo