Scrambler XT Kayak.......rigged

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

I must i'm surprised and disguisted with Ocean kayak suppling a hatch with such a bad fit i'm asuming i'ts the Gaspachi (sounds like a pasta dish) 10" x 18" Oval Hatch Kit, good luck I hope you get it fixed soon so we can see your baby in all her glory.

[ 13. March 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Prowler,

Yes its the Gaspachi Oval.

The round centre hatch fits like a glove, very good seal, and when its on........its on !.

But the front oval is as" slack as a Yak " :(:D

As I said, a good wave over the bow would easily lift the hatch off.

Leaving the Yak open to flooding.

Simon at Bournemouth is doing his best to put it right a.s.a.p.

Just hope they find one to fit properly now that I have cut the opening.

If not , Im in a mess , all that work will have been for nothing.

No good having a Yak with a big hole in it :(

They can have her back if thats the case.

I have since looked at the moulding of the hatch lip and upstand , it dosnt look good.

Uneven in places by the looks of things, and not as pronounced as the centre hatch.

Gutted :mad:

YY

Have I got it right? it might be a moulding fault with the hatch by the sound of things?

Well theres more than a good chance that the next one should fit properly fingers crossed.

[ 13. March 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

There is a way I may be able to get over the problem.

But it means cutting about a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the rubber gaspatchi hatch.

Although Im reluctant to do this , simply because if an incident should occur , I wont have a leg to stand on , because I tampered with the design..........nightmare.

yy :)

FWIW I've had a couple of issues with the two OK Frenzys I own.

The drain plug threads on both seem rough and ready and I won't be surprised if they give problems in the future. Im sure I'll be able to recut the threads if need but I shouldn't need to...

When I removed the bow lift strap from one of them in order to do some repairs (thanks again for the patches YY :) )I noticed that the lifting point moulding was incomplete and water could enter the hull through it! Not a big deal as with the lift rope in place its only a trickle that can get in ,but all the same not good :(

I now just accept having some water in the OK hull's at the end of a surf session as normal. The Perception ooh is always bone dry.

I like the OK yaks a lot but don't think their quality control is up to scratch :(

Goodluck with getting yours sorted YY. Is there anything you can do to seal it temporarily?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

For what its worth I am not impressed by the seal of the front hatch on my Caper but after seeing a couple I think they are all like that.. i was told that surf may let a little water in. hence everything in dry bags... can't comment further till I've been out in it.

Sounds like the Prowler 13 is a step forward in terms of the front hatch being made watertight.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Generally after being out in the caper and providing the straps are done up tight on the front hatch I come back with enough water to fill about a third of a normal size cup, thats with surfing it aswell, I find keeping the rubber seal greased with good old Vaseline helps.

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hiya Jaffa,

Re your problem with the drain bungs.

You can buy kits from a chanlery shop for replacement , might be worth a look.

Like you Im starting to think the quality control may not be up to much, with whats being sent over here.

As far as the temporary seal goes , its somthing I wouldnt like to try.

Id rather wait for the replacement hatch, and hope it fits as it should.

The thing is Jaffa, I have this competition going on at the moment, and although I have it in the bag , I dont want to give the opposition ANY advantage.

The competition will bre looking for any weakness to exploit :D

YY :)