Name this Fish?

lopex

I caught a number of these fish while mackerel bashing last night at Brighton Marina.

The anglers next to me said it could be a Pollock and another called it a Horse Mackerel.

Is it common to catch these fish on feathers?

I know that these fish were too small and were quickley put back but are they good to eat?

Last question. Promise. Can somone recommend a rig/bait for catching bass at the above venue. I seem only abale to catch using feathers and lores.

Thank you

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

So this is the mackerel that comes from the med and the normal one comes from iceland??

It's not a mackeral at all, despite it's name. It's a reletive of the Trevally we see Rex Hunt and co. catch in Austrailia or the Jacks caught in the Caribbean. We catch loads of them on the fly after dark.

So this is the mackerel that comes from the med and the normal one comes from iceland??

Scad are scad ... they are a different species and indeed belong to a different family (Carangidae) ie Jacks and Scads, rather than the common mackerel which belongs to the family (Scombridae) ie Mackerels and Tunnies ... don't get confused with the use of common names .... although you are right in thinking that the common mackerel has a more northerly range than scad, with an overlap between them approx from NW Africa up around the NW waters of the UK

Phil

Martin, how late into the night have you had bass on fly, is there patterns that are better than others.

I’ve had a few trips after the bass this summer with the fly rod (Sussex) just into dusk but not had any joy

Off to W Dorset next week for a few days, may get lucky.