17lb 15oz eel

Brian Crawford

<_< Anyone any information on the 17lb 15oz eel captured by Warren Gaunt of Hemel Hempstead from a southern gravel pit reported in News of the World today? :(

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Warren. Sorry it was not 17lb as I would love a new record eel to be caught by a proper eel angler in my lifetime. However, many congratulations on such a magnificent catch and your techniques.

Congratulations also to Andy for his great catches of eels.

Carry on the good work.

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

Excuse my ignorance but what constitutes a proper eel angler :unsure:

An angler who is actually fishing for specimen eels rather than one who catches by accident.

Shame the report was not correct, that would have been a good eel instead of a paltry 7lb 15oz!

Strange logic.

If I'm trotting a river and happen to bag a record dace, does the fact that I'm not targeting dace specifically mean that I'm not a proper dace angler.

If a record chub grabs a lure that I'm using and I'm fishing for whatever comes along, does that somehow devalue the fish or the achievement ?

What's funny is that by making those kinds of comments, people are trying desperatly to distance themselves from carp anglers whilst demonstraiting that the attitudes that permiate carp angling are alive and well and running through their own minds.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

that was roughly the point i was trying to make ken but did it so as not to leave myself wide open

as i believe eels will readily take most baits how do you specifically target them as with any other species

have been out chubbing and barbelling in the past and if it wasnt for the occasional eel i would have blanked on that day

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

Fantastic fish Warren, well done! Tremendous photo's you really get a feel for the size of the beast.

As much as I love all species - and I fish for them all - there's definately that much extra with a big Eel, they are so much harder than Carp, Barbel, Pike etc. I don't think people quite realise how good looking they are, you're photo's do it justice Warren.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Strange logic.

If I'm trotting a river and happen to bag a record dace, does the fact that I'm not targeting dace specifically mean that I'm not a proper dace angler.

If a record chub grabs a lure that I'm using and I'm fishing for whatever comes along, does that somehow devalue the fish or the achievement ?

What's funny is that by making those kinds of comments, people are trying desperatly to distance themselves from carp anglers whilst demonstraiting that the attitudes that permiate carp angling are alive and well and running through their own minds.

Hmmm doesn't seem strange to me, you're examples are very blurred in terms of specializing. Lets say you're Carping, usual thing 15lb line etc & you land a huge Roach or perhaps Chub. Now I would be excited, no doubts about that, but how could you not wish you'd caught them on 'proper tactics' it must surely devalue the capture.

What about you're record Dace, if you caught it on 12lb line & a size 8 when Barbel fishing?

Of course it doesn't alter the fact that the fish was caught by recognised means, but it must reduce the sense of personal achievement due to it being captured on systems completely beyond the species need. Unfortunately it becomes a fluke capture, enjoyable but devalued on a personal level.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

As with most species worth pursuing, you need to study the creature, its habitat, biology and behaviour.

Sure, put a worm in the water and you can catch almost anything, some good fish in time.

But if you want to consistently catch specimen sized fish of a given species, a certain amount of dedication is required

Not only putting the hours in when your chances are greatest, but in research, theorising and exchanging knowledge with other like-minded individuals, and using that knowledge to adapt baits, tackle and techniques, and to fish in the right places.

Yes, there is every chance that I might one day find a monster 'snake' on the end of my line, but it's going to be mostly down to luck.

But others I know have a far, far greater chance of such an accomplishment because they are 'proper eel anglers' and have my utmost respect.

Leon

(Hon. Member The National Anguilla Club)

ps Well done Warren, are you back on the ground yet?

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust