Breaking strength on monofilament tested

EFTTA

i think most of it used to be made in germany at one time ,american stuff only for enthusiasts (or prestige).

"there are very few actual manufacturers in the world and much line sold is simply a generic make with a new name."

hense my remark about overpriced stuff

"the missing ones are probably the most commonly used (cheap bulk spools etc) but no doupt being included could ruffle the leading brands a tad and their inflated prices in my opinion."

theres just as much good cheap line as there is expensive rubbish line.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, if you go to the information page and scroll down it states dry strength.

I thought the line diameters were pretty accurate. Is this why its the modern trend in the comics is to state line diameter and not breaking strain?

Giving just diameters means nothing to me I have always relied on breaking strain as a guide.

I'd be happier if line had a clearly marked "sell by" date on the spool, having recently had newly-purchased 6lb bs Krystonite and Ultima XT7 snap like cotton when I tested it at home. And this from a large and very busy tackle shop that you would think had few problems with low turnover and old stock.

Unfortunately a lot of line is sold from the manufacturers on great big spools and is then respooled (often under a different brand name). Even if the spool is dated at manufacture there is no guarantee it will be re spooled within an acceptable timeframe.

Bummer! There can't be many products these days where you have little or no comeback if it proves to be "unfit for purpose", but line seems to be one of them. I imagine the response if I took it back to the shop would be similar to a lot of pubs when they serve you an "off" pint - "Nobody else has complained..." <_<

Personally, whether it breaks at the stated weith or not doesn't really bother me too much as one can see from the table they pretty much all break at or above the stated weight. What i REALLY want to know is which has the best abrasion resistance, because when it comes down to it most times i've lost a fish due to line brakage is due to the abrasion on the line weakening it.

As for the degradation i tend to get my line ordered specially rather than off the shelf or i buy a brand that comes in a box.

Rich

Dogfish,that is a very good point youve raised about re spooling and not one that has occured to me before.That said I still feel a date would give you an indication as to how long it had been in the shop.Certainly more than we have now.

Richard when you "specially order" your line how do you know how long its sat at the suppliers end?

But as Richard says the way its packaged is important.If in a well sealed container (maybe like the foil packets Spiderwire braid comes in? er allthough braid doesnt really need it!) would be a good standard to have? Wouldnt need to worry so much about "shelf life".

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Never had "UV" damage in more than 50 years of using mono...

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Either way its a positive development. The wet/dry argument is fine... if they can get the dry strength right first...

Question is, where the measured dry bs is well in excess of the stated bs, is it because the stated bs is actually measured wet? We don't actually know under what conditions the manufacturer is testing the line.

The feedback from everybody is appreciated, we'll take your comments into account.

Just to clarify, we test the lines dry and without knots. It would be difficult to devise a standard when you started putting knots in the lines as there are so many different options. Also, the lines are sold in a dry condition so this is where the breaking strength should apply. This also corresponds with the ISO standard we use to test the lines.

I notice your comments about the date on the spools and will bring this up internally.

Also, if there are other lines you would like to see listed, let me know and we might include them in the next round of testing.

Kathleen

EFTTA

I've just sent the following e-mail to EFTTA:

"I found the tests on various lines very interesting. However I'd be grateful if you'd kindly advise me whether the breaking strains were measured on wet or dry line, and also whether the lines were knotted or unknotted."

From what I can see on the information page the tests were on dry, unknotted lines. This is only of limited value as some lines lose more strength than others when wet. Additionally there is a wide variation in the strength lost when different lines are knotted.

However, it's a start at least and EFTTA are to be applauded for their initiative,