Fishing in weed

carperpops

Hi All,

I am new to this so please bare with me.

can you please help?

I have made my own boilie mix and would love to catch fish with it.

But i have a problem!!

I am fishing an 8 acre lake with a good head of carp to 40lb.

It is a hard fished water so carp are very wary of the baits.

The problem i have is weed lots of it.

I am thinking of using a 3oz inline lead with a 3 foot hooklink, a popup balanced so the bait rests on top of the weed.

would this work?

or can you give any advice on rigs to use?

please help.

carpypops.

A couple of comments - do some searches on here the question often pops up and there's some very good advice. Ditto for the articles - I think there's one on weed fishing as well.

Now to your question - yes it may well work but it's not the best solution and probably only best for stalking odd fish. Ask yourself where carp feed ? And the answer is predominantly on the bottom so that's really where you want to fish. Find the clear spots (there will always be some) or make your own (again see old threads for more info). Any rig that catches carp will do inmy experience, if they are put in the right place.

Rob.

What species of weed? Many (most) are thicker near the surface with plenty of gaps near the bottom.

Would raking a spot be allowed? If so, how long are your sessions?

Is your gear heavy enough to deal with a large fish in the weed?

Are you using mono or braid for your mainline? Braid is far superior to mono in weed since it cuts the weed fairly easily while mono just gathers up huge clumps of it.

Can you take photos of the swims you like and post them here? It is often easier to make reasonable suggestions if we can see the lake.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

perhaps before tackling 40lbers a few dozen visits to a lake with less weed and smaller fish could be taken to learn landing and fish "steering" tactics etc,rather than good fish trailing the end of your rod and tens of meters of line around when you find the tackle you didnt mention (Newt picked it up) cant cope.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

or if u dont want to do that get some strong line i.e 15lb-20lb and when u hook a fish dont let it run much just steer it out of the weeds its called hook and hold :)

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

will his rod hold ? your forgetting the important parts ,will the flyer of his reel create a nice arc as it comes apart .

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ohh yeh lol i forgot about that get a 2.5 testcurve thingy carp rod and a good reel lol i dont no wat its called im new ^^ but if it does work its a very good technique just go in ure local tackelshop and they will give u all the info (well they did for me ;))

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

PVA bag, put the complete rig in, and cast into the weed, or very close to it. DON'T pull back.........

Den ( and use a lighter lead if you can on a release clip )

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic