Pegging out a keepnet?

Ducktape Corkfeet

Relevant topic at the moment, the use of keepnets. I personally only use one when fishing with my 5yr old daughter, as she loves to see all the different fish at the end of the session. One thing I don't do though, is put the net out in deep(ish) water, as I can never get to the end of the net to peg it out, and I would be afraid of it collapsing with the fish in it. Is there a suitable way of doing this?

Net Spreaders I think they are called. I used to have a couple years ago. You clip them onto the bottom 3/4 rings and it keeps them spread out.

You could put a heavy-ish stone in the bottom of your keepnet before you throw it out.

You could put a heavy-ish stone in the bottom of your keepnet before you throw it out.

Assuming you have a ring at the bottom of the net, you'd be better off tying a 10oz sea lead onto the ring using an electrical tie rather than dropping a stone into it - less holes in the net.

The ring can also be used to steak out nets with a bankstick.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Browning do a standup net - pretty sure other people must as well, although we only sell the browning ones (not very popular but we do sell the odd one). I believe Browning manufacture them mainly for the Irish market or something (thats what the rep told us) but at £36 when you see the net it is bloody good value for money.

standup.JPG

Ian W

Browning do a standup net - pretty sure other people must as well, although we only sell the browning ones (not very popular but we do sell the odd one). I believe Browning manufacture them mainly for the Irish market or something (thats what the rep told us) but at £36 when you see the net it is bloody good value for money.

standup.JPG

Right.now that does look a bloody good net,looks to have about the same number of rings as the one I use now.rightly or wrongly(in some peoples opinion) I use a keep net,two sometimes but I`m not often that lucky.my net is 4m its 500 x600 so provides a good amount of space for what i get in it.Not fishing for carp or commercials.If this measures up size wise i`ll have one!

i`ll be in touch

Cheers DS

Edited by dogstick

That does indeed look like a good keepnet.

I can't help thinking that the rods look not dissimilar to tent poles though. I have one such pole which is used to strengthen my STi bivvy.

I'm fairly sure some of our more handy forum members would be able to devise a way of using the poles on their existing nets. After all, the tent poles can be bought fairly cheaply from camping shops..........just a thought. :blink: