Exceptional Growth Rates

Marginmaster

Just wish I had the clout to make some rule changes, but I don't so its using precious holiday from work and fishing midweek for me. I've got another question that I could do with some help on, but I'll leave it a bit, don't want to look like I'm posting loads only being a newbee. S.

I've got another question that I could do with some help on, but I'll leave it a bit, don't want to look like I'm posting loads only being a newbee. S.

Don't worry about that - the more the merrier! :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've got another question that I could do with some help on, but I'll leave it a bit, don't want to look like I'm posting loads only being a newbee. S.

everybody has to start somwere :)

btw i had much interest in reading this post lol its not often i read that much tho :P

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Also remember that if your water is overstocked you'll need a certain amount of fishing pressure as the fish rely on angers' baits to put on weight. Indeed some waters are so overstocked they rely on anglers' baits to keep them alive! On the other hand Wingham has a lot of natural food and this is what has put the weight on my fish.

Please don't think though from my original post that there's not much to growing big fish. There are a lot of other factors too, but space prohibits my going into them all.

Steve,

Just a question with sort of an answer, here we find that carp seem to be a lot bigger when there is a preditor fish present in the water, as if they carp grow bigger to protect them selves.

I have seen what over stocked water fish look like first hand, especially when they are dependand on anglers for food, it is not a nice sight to see, the fish first get smaller each year then the die off start.

Roger

Steve,

Just a question with sort of an answer, here we find that carp seem to be a lot bigger when there is a preditor fish present in the water, as if they carp grow bigger to protect them selves.

I have seen what over stocked water fish look like first hand, especially when they are dependand on anglers for food, it is not a nice sight to see, the fish first get smaller each year then the die off start.

Roger

Roger,

The reason they get bigger is because the predators keep the small fish numbers down. Fewer small fish = more food for the big fish and the big fish get bigger. Without predators you get over breeding and tons of stunted fish, because they don't have enough food.

Rob.

I agree with Rob here. For that reason I've introduced pike into my carp lake. The members can't fish for them as that might upset the predator/prey ratio. This is monitored by making it compulsory that members complete the "Pike Return Book" at the end of their session on either of my lakes even they catch no pike. Also recorded is the date fished plus the weight and general condition of each pike that is caught. Additionally it means that I can keep an eye on how much fishing pressure there is on each lake.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I agree with Rob here. For that reason I've introduced pike into my carp lake. The members can't fish for them as that might upset the predator/prey ratio. This is monitored by making it compulsory that members complete the "Pike Return Book" at the end of their session on either of my lakes even they catch no pike. Also recorded is the date fished plus the weight and general condition of each pike that is caught. Additionally it means that I can keep an eye on how much fishing pressure there is on each lake.

Steve,

You chaps have nice control over the waters, so yes this can be controlled, here nobody looks after the waters.

We have Black Bass and catfish that predate on other fish, but the numbers well who knows.

All I can say it is very noticeble the differce in the size of the carp where the Black Bass are present as say compared to a water where only catfish are the preditory fish.

Roger