Can all anglers agree on a one mile netting ban

stavey

Hello Ken

Only in their minds, it won't actually do any thing much to increase stocks or the availability of fish.

Ok there are a few places around the coast where netting is carried out close to the shore, it is a tiny per portion of the total coast line of the UK, it's this perception that anglers have of a gill net more than the gill net it's self

The new bass size limit and 100mm nets will virtually wipe out any estuary and creek netting for a few years any way,

Hi Wurzle,

A small example of what I mean. Man on trials bike hurtles onto Cefyn Sidan beach at low tide moves to areas where he hopes to avoid prying eyes from box on back of bike produces net with floats and weights, plus a fork. Sets out net digging in weights, watches from a distance as flood tide covers equipment.

Usually times activities on a night time tide and recovers early in the morning, rides off beach with a second bag containing all the catch, under size or not.

This guy is just one of several who operate in this manner around here. It must be a fore gone conclusions that operations of this nature are rife throughout UK coastal waters, they may differ in method from area to area but you can bet they will be there. If net manufacturers were only allowed to sell to licensed fishermen this would help to stop it.

The guy I mentioned sells his fish direct to local customers doing yourself and other fishermen out of a market.

If stopped he would plead he is only doing it for himself, something for the pot mate I am on the dole and haven't got any money for food etc. etc. what a load of bull sh** :angry:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thread recently discissed the possibility of commercials and RSA working together.

Have a look at

http://www.bigbrayne.com/scad/index.htm

Here divers and commercails are working together to establish a golden mile.

I have written to them to see if we could have a liason between Scad and RSA

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Wurzle,

A small example of what I mean. Man on trials bike hurtles onto Cefyn Sidan beach at low tide moves to areas where he hopes to avoid prying eyes from box on back of bike produces net with floats and weights, plus a fork. Sets out net digging in weights, watches from a distance as flood tide covers equipment.

Usually times activities on a night time tide and recovers early in the morning, rides off beach with a second bag containing all the catch, under size or not.

This guy is just one of several who operate in this manner around here. It must be a fore gone conclusions that operations of this nature are rife throughout UK coastal waters, they may differ in method from area to area but you can bet they will be there. If net manufacturers were only allowed to sell to licensed fishermen this would help to stop it.

The guy I mentioned sells his fish direct to local customers doing yourself and other fishermen out of a market.

If stopped he would plead he is only doing it for himself, something for the pot mate I am on the dole and haven't got any money for food etc. etc. what a load of bull sh** :angry:

Ken is it hard to pick this fella out amongst the licenced fishermen?

If what he is doing is illegal makeing it a bit more illegal won't stop him.

I supose every fish he catches is one you ain't going to, how far do you go with that argument?

is he not a member of the public? therefore a stake boody holder, Leon is always reminding me that fish stocks are the property of every one , he is claiming his share.

It won't be long before there will be sea angling licence and bag limits, enforced by an army of rangers on trial bikes and 4x4s, as Steve G says bag limits will stop him having enough to sell.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge

I am no expert on the herring fishery of Whitby that you are talking about but I did spend about fourteen or fifteen years fishing on it with several different boats.

I hope that I can help in anyway if you have any questions.

I have never witnessed herring spawn inside of two miles. Herring are very territorial where they spawn, but there are several areas where they spawn of the north east coast and you don’t know where they are going to spawn first if at all from one year to the next.

The time of there spawning also is very weather related.

They can start spawning from as early as the end of June to as late as the end of September.

The fishery can drag on into November sometimes.

If you wanted to shut this fisheries down altogether then I would suggest that realistically it would have to be shut down between the above times.

It is a very strange fishery,(one that I must say I did not enjoy) you can be lucky and get a lot of fish one day (as fish are on a feeding frenzy) or you can trawl around for weeks and get nothing.

There are plenty of marks but you have got to find the right mark that the herrings are actually spawning in and the fish feeding on the spawn.

Years ago this was not such a problem as there were a lot of boats going through different marks in different locations. Eventually someone would come across the correct mark and then the boats would concentrate on it.

Now it must be much harder locating the right mark? But that is only an assumption.

Regards

Ken is it hard to pick this fella out amongst the licenced fishermen?

If what he is doing is illegal makeing it a bit more illegal won't stop him.

I supose every fish he catches is one you ain't going to, how far do you go with that argument?

is he not a member of the public? therefore a stake boody holder, Leon is always reminding me that fish stocks are the property of every one , he is claiming his share.

It won't be long before there will be sea angling licence and bag limits, enforced by an army of rangers on trial bikes and 4x4s, as Steve G says bag limits will stop him having enough to sell.

No I don't worry about him taking fish from me, I do object to him taking undersize fish, I do object to him setting an illegal net, I do object to him littering the beach with hundreds of yards of mono netting when high winds sweep it away and I also object when the cheeky b***er comes up to and ask if I have found his bl**dy fork that he left behind :rolleyes::D

I was reeling in a schoolie about 25cm and he asked me for it when I politely told him it was going back, pointing out that it was under size.

The truth is this particular guy is a total loser, came down one evening and run out of petrol I was fishing about fifty yards from another chap who walked down and he must have thought we were together and asked him if he had any spare petrol. We laughed like hell as he pushed his bike about two miles down the beach and then he had another good three miles to a closed petrol station, poetic justice :lol::lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

QUOTE:poetic justice

Ken its a crying shame there aint a lot more of that about.!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

apart from when we get this lisence slapped on usin return for nothing!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

No I don't worry about him taking fish from me, I do object to him taking undersize fish, I do object to him setting an illegal net, I do object to him littering the beach with hundreds of yards of mono netting when high winds sweep it away and I also object when the cheeky b***er comes up to and ask if I have found his bl**dy fork that he left behind :rolleyes::D

I was reeling in a schoolie about 25cm and he asked me for it when I politely told him it was going back, pointing out that it was under size.

The truth is this particular guy is a total loser, came down one evening and run out of petrol I was fishing about fifty yards from another chap who walked down and he must have thought we were together and asked him if he had any spare petrol. We laughed like hell as he pushed his bike about two miles down the beach and then he had another good three miles to a closed petrol station, poetic justice :lol::lol:

I would like to see how he carries hundereds of yards of net on a motor bike.

He sounds like most hobby net fishermen, no threat what so ever. as soon as they do by upping thier net from 50 meteres to hundereds of meters then the licence fishermen usealy get on thier case.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I would like to see how he carries hundereds of yards of net on a motor bike.

He sounds like most hobby net fishermen, no threat what so ever. as soon as they do by upping thier net from 50 meteres to hundereds of meters then the licence fishermen usealy get on thier case.

In a moment of madness imagine anglers get their golden mile. Who polices it? Where I fish static gear is low tide to 1 mile. Trawling outside this. The trawlers don't come inside cause they are my friends. We protect the small fish ,the flara and fauna. Without netters it's open game.

If I was trawling inside 1 mile and was stopped by fishery officers ( very, very unlikely) - I think I have a bomb in my net. I am bring it inshore to be dealt with!!!

Ha, ha to the golden mile. Only a desk bound can't keep his breakfast down would think of that.