Can all anglers agree on a one mile netting ban

stavey

Now that BASS have given it there best shot at getting something done, is it not time that all sea anglers angling clubs and associations etc, all worked and concentrated off of a same single cause like a one mile from the shore netting ban from the word go and stick to it whatever or how long it takes, instead of all these seperate ones like this species and that species etc, this in my view is to fragmented when you look at it.

it is also to complicated for the average angler and spreads whatever support there is to thinly, there is no doubt in my mind that if the consultation had been fought on this issue alone the responce from anglers would have been much larger, and i also think the commercial sector could have not responded anymore then they did, this one measure helps and deals with a lot problems and could be semi policed by us anglers with the use of a simple mobile phone, lets stop pi**ing about and all get behind something we all want and stand united and go for it, what do you think.

ps. i dont care what the commercials think by the way........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stavey,

I think this would be an excellent idea.

The benefits would be immense, as Leon has highlighted in his golden mile article, and relatively easy to police- see a net- remove it.

Obviously difficult if the nets are hidden/ submerged, but I would support it.

You may even find a few of the commercials support this, if they are fishing responsibly, as they may recognise the harm done by inshore 'amateur' netsmen. As I understand it, these people are largely unregulated, and nets are hardly expensive- why buy 500m when you can buy 1km?

Controversially

G

B.A.S.S. member

Near shore restrictions are one of the items on the agenda that is currently being progressed with DEFRA in developing a Strategy for the Development of Recreational Sea Angling.

A comprehensive draft document (ie a full wish list!) including that proposal was put together by those that turned up from a number of Sea Angling organisations invited.

It is now with DEFRA for a final draft, following discussions within a sub-committee of the Inshore Working Group, part of DEFRA's Marine Stakeholder Forum.

(The sub-committee consisted of RSA Reps, and others from the catching sector, the SFCs and NGOs as well as DEFRA people - DEFRA will only take this forward if there is agreement and support from the wider stakeholders group)

I wasn't at the meeting when the 1 mile restrictions were discussed, but I get the feeling that the DEFRA people aren't that enthusiastic!

Once the final draft is produced by DEFRA for the Inshore Working Group, the angling organisations will consider whether it is something that their organisations can sign up to.

If everyone is reasonably happy (not everyone is going to be perfectly happy), DEFRA will take ownership of the RSA development Strategy with a view to devloping it further and implementing the proposals that have been signed up to.

A one mile restriction area isn't going to solve everything, there will still need to be measures to protect species that travel to and from the shore etc.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

In the rockier parts of the North east very few people work nets close to shore. Gill nets are almost redundant. Trawlers are often if not always outside of a mile. The salmon drift netters are having their licences bought out tby the environment agency. Really the only people working inside a mile are the fixed netters for Salmon, Migratory trout and the odd bass and the lobster pot guys - we have no problem at all with these people. I would back anything for anglers but if you want to get North east anglers aboard, a one mile net ban isnt the way to do it. Sorry to go back to this but the guys in the north east arent behind anything at the moment (bar a few - eg Yalasa) the amount of debate on yesterdays BMP announcement in the north east forums speaks volumes. Ill get onboard anything thats good for fishing but as for the others - don't count on it. Aim for 6 miles and you might get people to listen.

Edited by glennk

In the rockier parts of the North east very few people work nets close to shore. Gill nets are almost redundant. Trawlers are often if not always outside of a mile. The salmon drift netters are having their licences bought out tby the environment agency. Really the only people working inside a mile are the fixed netters for Salmon, Migratory trout and the odd bass and the lobster pot guys - we have no problem at all with these people. I would back anything for anglers but if you want to get North east anglers aboard, a one mile net ban isnt the way to do it. Sorry to go back to this but the guys in the north east arent behind anything at the moment (bar a few - eg Yalasa) the amount of debate on yesterdays BMP announcement in the north east forums speaks volumes. Ill get onboard anything thats good for fishing but as for the others - don't count on it. Aim for 6 miles and you might get people to listen.

Glen I can assure that in the area I fish there is ALOT of inshore netting. Also many bylaws allow netting from the shore even in nursey areas!

I would love to see this 1-mile netting exclusion zone. But as usual enforcement is the main issue even if was law.

Hi Glen, pretty much the same situation up on Scotlands east coast; it's hard to see the need for a 1 mile limit here.

There used to be a 3 mile limit, banning mobile gear, but it was scrapped in the 80's. Enforcement was always a problem though. Some immediate questions:

How do those in favour of a 5 mile limit imagine it can be enforced? Will the costs of that enforcement be better spent elsewhere?

What happens when small inshore boats, that may HAVE to work close in during say bad weather, are no longer viable? Will they all just retire or will they buy bigger boats? Which new non quota stock gets hit then?

Surely it would make more sense to introduce something like this on a local basis?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Near shore restrictions are one of the items on the agenda that is currently being progressed with DEFRA in developing a Strategy for the Development of Recreational Sea Angling.

A comprehensive draft document (ie a full wish list!) including that proposal was put together by those that turned up from a number of Sea Angling organisations invited.

It is now with DEFRA for a final draft, following discussions within a sub-committee of the Inshore Working Group, part of DEFRA's Marine Stakeholder Forum.

(The sub-committee consisted of RSA Reps, and others from the catching sector, the SFCs and NGOs as well as DEFRA people - DEFRA will only take this forward if there is agreement and support from the wider stakeholders group)

I wasn't at the meeting when the 1 mile restrictions were discussed, but I get the feeling that the DEFRA people aren't that enthusiastic!

Once the final draft is produced by DEFRA for the Inshore Working Group, the angling organisations will consider whether it is something that their organisations can sign up to.

If everyone is reasonably happy (not everyone is going to be perfectly happy), DEFRA will take ownership of the RSA development Strategy with a view to devloping it further and implementing the proposals that have been signed up to.

A one mile restriction area isn't going to solve everything, there will still need to be measures to protect species that travel to and from the shore etc.

Sod the sub committee leon, who are they anyway? as for sfc's well you know how i feel about them the framework that people like you and others have helped to put in place aint gonna work without the backing of the average sea angler this is the problem, these have been put into place by people who think they no better and tells the average sea angler what is good for them and does not consider asking the average sea angler what he would like to see done, the one two or five mile limit (why not steve) should be at the forefront ie, the main issue, not included amongst a wish list along side a 2cm increase mls for this fish and that fish, you have got get something to get the juices flowing something that will make the average sea angler enthusiastic to get involved in and it is worth everyone of them putting their hand in their pocket for and responding possitively in their tens of thousands and not a few hundreds.

i am sorry leon for the way i put myself over and no one appreciates it more then i do for the work you and others have done and i thank you for that but i think a change in priorities are called for if you i or whoever want to achieve anything realy worthwhile in our lifetimes. respectfully stavey..........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly