Under Water Camera

Andy_1984

for months ive been pondering over a little project to build a DIY under water camera.

1. cctv camera (plenty in the back of the office)

2. pocket tv (probably a cheap old one)

3. large rechargable battery pack (like from cam-corders)

4. large pole

5. large coke bottle or other large plastic bottle

pocket tv attached to top of pole with battery with wire leading down pole to the coke bottle with the camera inside and somehow linked to pocket tv. idealy a couple of bright LED's would go down a treat aswel

TaDa :clap2:

so far its only been a pipe dream but i do want to build this cheapo alternative to expensive under water equipment. or an even cheaper alternative would be to get one of those things you thought of getting as a kid to perv over peoples walls but never got it like those submarine things, perascope i think.

thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated or if you know of somthing better id like to hear about it

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to need a fair bit of lead to counter the boyancy of the air in the coke bottle but go for it.

Incidentally, I've just bought an underwater still camera from Lidl for a fiver. Just the job for a few interesting shots of fish in the surf with a lure in its mouth.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You're going to need a fair bit of lead to counter the boyancy of the air in the coke bottle but go for it.

Incidentally, I've just bought an underwater still camera from Lidl for a fiver. Just the job for a few interesting shots of fish in the surf with a lure in its mouth.

thats a realy good point Ken, ive seen some under water cameras on some documentary with the camera sort of sticking out of the pole a few mm. im best probably going for a sort of molded housing for the camera like a small coke bottle with as little air in as possible.

cheers, can imagine taking my invention on the water and only getting footage of the surface :lol:

The slight problem is visibility. I have seen the results from a model underwater submersible with a TV camera on board. Even in what was described as clear water anything over two feet away was all but invisible. It still sounds like good fun though.

A Hammond

The slight problem is visibility. I have seen the results from a model underwater submersible with a TV camera on board. Even in what was described as clear water anything over two feet away was all but invisible. It still sounds like good fun though.

the idea popped up when me and a friend where at a river where there is trout and he said years ago this certain part used to be teaming with fish but now it is totaly void, and i thought if i could see under water with a camera or somthing similar i might get some idea of what is going on there

What you want is a pair of flippers and a dive mask.

Much cheaper.

I'd try it myself but people keep trying to roll me back into the water when I get out.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Ferret1959

I think you will have a problem with focus.

I tried it with a mini transmitting camera in a jam jar.

Put it in my fish pond, went back to watch on tv it worked fine but couldn't focus through the glass jar. :(

I think you will have a problem with focus.

I tried it with a mini transmitting camera in a jam jar.

Put it in my fish pond, went back to watch on tv it worked fine but couldn't focus through the glass jar. :(

i can see why it didnt focus, ever looked at the bottom of a pint glass. id try a small round peice of perspex which is what im considering doing with my brain fart. brain fart as follows:-

pipe with a wider pipe on end at a 90 degree bend or less which will fit the camera with a peice of perspex over the hole. should work hopefuly

There is a company which makes camera housings out of plastic tube, quite simple really apart from the lens/front cover. Having given it a little thought ( just a quickie) how about moulding a clear lens filter into the end of a piece of tube plenty of excellent pond adhesives around for that job solvent on a screw end cap to the other end, small hole drilled through for cable seal with same sticky stuff, job done for around a fiver. :D

If that fails I am just about to put my octopus and regulator on ebay, perfect nick not even used since last service, complete with compass and depth gauge, all you would want is a tank. Also have a Sealife Reef Master camera and case which is going on, plus a couple of face mask, with that you could get right down in the mix :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist