Would you eat coarse fisgh mk2

Kappa

Which one?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If you went to tescos and all the following fish were avaliable which would you buy?

• Barbel
    • Carp
    • Cod
    • Pike
    • Zander

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the taste has more to do with the environment the fish is caught from. I would hate to taste one from a commercial fishery... Yuk

Paul.

your right about the taste depends on where it comes from, especially the fresh water fish, im a fish monger for a living, and sell over 70 types of fish from fresh water to sea. the area im in, the main seller is an african fish called tilapia. but today its farmed from all over the world. from africa, to mosambic. malaysa. to thialand. but the best one seems to be from tialand. i also sell carp at xmas and easter as one person mentioned. look at seabass. thats farmed, but everyone wants it from greece. the same for scotish farmed salmon.. the fresh water fish have the taste of the river they are out of or farmed, some can taste very muddy.

woman want me, fish fear me

id eat carp just for the grin, if it got em out of our rivers and wound up a few ultra cult carpers it would be well worth the 20p per kilo id be willing to pay for it :lol:

Oh and leave the poor zander out of it!

Edited by zedhead

Am I right in thinking barbel is poisionous to eat while it's in the fishes breeding condition?

I understand that it is the roe of the Barbel, which is poisonous, or at least should not be eaten.

At the very least, it will give you the runs, even if it is cooked.

(At least that is the information given out in Germany for the Sport Fisher Theory Examination preparation).

Steinbeisser

• 3 weeks later...
I think the taste has more to do with the environment the fish is caught from. I would hate to taste one from a commercial fishery... Yuk

Paul.

Thats totaly true about the environment fish come from. Im a manager of a fish mongers selling over 70 types of fish from around the world.

67 types are sea fish and 3 types are fresh water.

My biggest seeler is a fresh water fished called tilapia, which is now farmed all over the world, i sell around a 100 boxes a week, containig 10 fish to a box.

if i buy from its origins, which is africa, i cant sell it. if i buy from thailand, i can sell all i can get.

fresh water fish tastes like the river it comes from.

smac

woman want me, fish fear me