Would you eat coarse fisgh mk2

Kappa

Which one?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If you went to tescos and all the following fish were avaliable which would you buy?

• Barbel
    • Carp
    • Cod
    • Pike
    • Zander

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all the same price I would try any, but really would love to try zander for some strange reason. I do hunt with firearms and eat what I kill, planing a fishing / shooting / camping weekend where squirrel at least will be on the menu ;)

I haven't voted because we can only choose one. I would have preferred which ones would you eat, you don't have to buy it if you can catch it.

As for Barbel, this is what Mrs Beeton has to say.

BARBEL.

229. INGREDIENTS - 1/2 pint of port wine, a saltspoonful of salt, 2 tablespoonfuls of vinegar, 2 sliced onions, a faggot of sweet herbs, nutmeg and mace to taste, the juice of a lemon, 2 anchovies; 1 or 2 barbels, according to size.

Mode—Boil the barbels in salt and water till done; pour off some of the water, and, to the remainder, put the ingredients mentioned above. Simmer gently for 1/2 hour, or rather more, and strain. Put in the fish; heat it gradually; but do not let it boil, or it will be broken.

Time.—Altogether 1 hour. Sufficient for 4 persons.

Seasonable from September to November.

[illustration: THE BARBEL.]THE BARBEL,—This fish takes its name from the barbs or wattels at its mouth; and, in England, is esteemed as one of the worst of the fresh-water fish. It was, however, formerly, if not now, a favourite with the Jews, excellent cookers of fish. Others would boil with it a piece of bacon, that it might have a relish. It is to be met with from two to three or four feet long, and is said to live to a great age. From Putney upwards, in the Thames, some are found of large size; but they are valued only as affording sport to the brethren of the angle.

:oops: Sorry Captain just noticed your post :headhurt:

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Isn't it interesting, as yet no one has put carp as a species they would eat. You would think the UK's favourite coarse fish would be more popular, or is it because they are above being eaten?

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Where i come from carp is served on christmas table.Not because it taste good,but because of the christian tradition.To be honest i rather have salad sarnie instead-i hate the taste of carp.

Where i come from carp is served on christmas table.Not because it taste good,but because of the christian tradition.To be honest i rather have salad sarnie instead-i hate the taste of carp.

I think the taste has more to do with the environment the fish is caught from. I would hate to taste one from a commercial fishery... Yuk

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..