Anyone understand RAM ?

glennk

A friend has requested I help speed up their PC. A system check revealed they are running xp on 256 MB so there clearly is a problem there. My advice was to stick as much as possible in the spare slot.

I took the existing RAM out and got the details listed below. Can anyone advise on where I can get some from and what specifically I need to ask/search for.

MT8VDDT3264AY40BGB

CCTANJ4032

256 DDR 400 CL3

use the ram adviser at www.crucial.com it'll tell you exactly what you need, and while their prices aren't the very cheapest they're pretty good, and at least once you know exactly what you need you can shop around

generally pc's like pairs of ram so change both just to be sure.

the pc's manual will list what it uses ,if no manual try and spot the makers logo on the motherboard and go down that route ,ignore the cases writing we dont make pc's we assemble them from parts but better assemblers actually have the manuals on their websites (sadly fewer and fewer)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just had a look in my wotsits box and I have 2 x 512mb DDR sticks which I'm pretty sure would work in your mates machine, similar RAM to this is about £15 quid ish plus post, you can have the pair for 15 quid posted if you're interested........

Just had a look in my wotsits box and I have 2 x 512mb DDR sticks which I'm pretty sure would work in your mates machine, similar RAM to this is about £15 quid ish plus post, you can have the pair for 15 quid posted if you're interested........

Can you garuntee they will work in her machine Jeepster ??

I can't guarantee that, but I can promise you your money back if they don't!

They're from a machine I upgraded recently and I know they're fully working units, and as far as i can see they're compatible with the RAM you described earlier.

In fact, to save bother, if you want them, I'll send them up, if they work, pay me, if they don't send them back.........

That sounds a good offer mate.

My address is

{Removed by admin}

{Please use the PM facility in future for all personal details, Thanks}

As soon as they arrive Ill nip around and try them out. If they work ill send payment straight away.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers - Glenn