Big Richmond Park fish

paintfly

Was out walking in Richmond Park on Tuesday, had to shelter under the trees from the rain every 30 mins or so, and during one downpour, noticed a young lad fishing one of the ponds. Didn't pay too much attention as I was chatting to friends, but one time I looked round I could see a lot of splashing and it looked like he'd snagged one of the many ducks and coots that were surrounding him, no doubt hoping for some of his bread. Next minute he was standing next to me saying "Excuse me, would you mind taking a photo of me and my fish?" He was soaking wet but had a huge grin on his face, and no wonder, as he unwrapped a perfect looking Common Carp that weighed in at 14.2 lb. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me :wallbash: I'm into seafishing, but I was just as excited as him and went and took more photos of him releasing it. Pulled a sickie the next day and drove to the coast - Blanked :D Who cares. :sun:

Just seen the link to the world records for these fish, so "big" might not exactly be the right word :rolleyes: ; sorry if I got anyones hopes up. Nice fish though.

Edited by paintfly

Please don't apologise. Any carp is a nice fish, irrespective of size.

The bit I really enjoyed was imagining the youngsters pleasure in catching that fish.

Well done to you for taking an interest. I am sure that added to his pleasure.

Cheers

Bill

They get a lot bigger than that in Richmond Park :) The top pond has a very famous and stunning old carp of over 45lb. :)

When i was a child, I remember seeing the late Jack Hargreaves of 'Out of Town' fame...getting his old cane rod smashed to bits by a Richmond Park Fish!.....It sadly, never got shown on TV...But is an eduring childhood memory...and possibly what got me into this ridiculous pastime!...thanks Jack! :P

• 3 weeks later...
That'll be Richmond or North Sheen :)

That'll be Richmond Tube or North Sheen overground, unfortunately you would not call either near and no bus goes anywhere near either so its wheels or Shanks' pony if you feel like a couple of miles trek uphill! :blink: had a spell there myself, (I live 1 mile away) and Summer is murder there. Only at penn ponds will you feel the full malignence of the ignorant dog walker who after circumnavigating a mile of angler free bankside will then proceed to hurl a stick over your lines before commenting that they did not see you fishing there, No, I always carry some rods to point at a any convenient bit of water I may come across :yeah:

get over that and you stand a chance, I stopped when I found myself attacking a dog and kicking its fleeing @rse. No carp but I did get a tufty and a jack on bottom baits!

That'll be Richmond Tube or North Sheen overground, unfortunately you would not call either near and no bus goes anywhere near either so its wheels or Shanks' pony if you feel like a couple of miles trek uphill! :blink: had a spell there myself, (I live 1 mile away) and Summer is murder there. Only at penn ponds will you feel the full malignence of the ignorant dog walker who after circumnavigating a mile of angler free bankside will then proceed to hurl a stick over your lines before commenting that they did not see you fishing there, No, I always carry some rods to point at a any convenient bit of water I may come across :yeah:

get over that and you stand a chance, I stopped when I found myself attacking a dog and kicking its fleeing @rse. No carp but I did get a tufty and a jack on bottom baits!

Surely a MUCH better idea would be to Kick the Owners arse? <_<

I might make a visit because I'm moving to London in about a months time.

If you find anywhere decent on the northside let us know.

I had a look at Hampstead Heath last weekend but wasn't convinced good fishing could be had there.

Tony

• 2 months later...