Lines and tackle must be getting stronger

TrevBoy

Is it me, or do you see a lot less loose tackle washed up on river banks these days than you used to? I mean, when I was a nipper (jeesh - 35 years ago) we always used to find floats and lures when we went fishing. As I walk the dog now along the Trent I can't help looking out for a few freebies but never see any. I can't help wandering why.

I don't fish rivers much or get the chance to walk along them but i think there are alot less people fishing the rivers these days which could be one of the reasons. I also don't think you get as many kids fishing rivers like i used to as a kid. I learnt to fish on a river and lost alot of tackle in trees.

You are also right in saying the tackle is of better quality in some cases but i'm sure you'll find some that swear by the 20+ year old rod and reel.

Richard

Is it me, or do you see a lot less loose tackle washed up on river banks these days than you used to? I mean, when I was a nipper (jeesh - 35 years ago) we always used to find floats and lures when we went fishing. As I walk the dog now along the Trent I can't help looking out for a few freebies but never see any. I can't help wandering why.

I know what you mean about the tackle you could pick up.

I think these days, there is more help out there, even for the young anglers. in my day, it was ask the guy next to you, and hoped as a kid he would give you the advice.

not all of them did as you were a kid and they really didnt want you there.

but today, with all the internet and forums and the great advice, the more experienced angler these days are prepared to give has gone a long way to helping the young anglers.

most children now get home and go straight on the net, to look things up, or even get advice. on the net, they are adults, and get adult info.

i say lets keep it going and make better fisherman of them. whish i had this when i first started.

smac

Edited by s_mac

woman want me, fish fear me

I don't fish rivers much

I think this is your answer. There are simply less people fishing the rivers and less anglers means less lost kit.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

There are simply less people fishing the rivers and less anglers means less lost kit.

.........and some of them possibly don't even own a float anyway!