Motivation

BobH

For the last few years I've been doing way more float fishing and a lot less sitting around trying to catch a big this that or the other in the lonely pitch black for hours on end. I may not have had many pb's lately and it may help if you have good general coarse fishing close by, but its definitely kept me a little more interested the last few years.

But I think if you do to much of anything, it looses its edge. Variety is the spice of life.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Only eleven more years and you will have reached my present age !

I first went fishing on my own at age seven, so a simple sum shows I have been fishing for 74 years - and I look forward to my next trip as much as ever. One feature of my fishing is that I pursue every type of angling - float, fly, lure, paternoster, leger, freelining, so have never get bored with one method. Also, I fish for all types of fish, lake, river, sea, rock pools, deep sea and tidal creeks - from minnows, through mullet and mulloway to marlin. A new (to me) species is what really turns me on, yet I still enjoy fishing the local ponds and rivers for not-very-big perch, roach, and trout.

With increasing age I do fish shorter sessions now, especially roving sessions on rivers, where after about three hours of yomping I have physically had enough, and during the winter I now venture out less often, although not to the extent of that Victorian angling writer, William Caine

Visiting American rellies, and a king-sized cold have prevented my fishing this month, but I will be out soon. Watch this space.

Vagabond,

It would be nice to think I will reach that age, but health issue may preclude that endeavour !!

But good luck to you for not loosing the motivation to still go fishing.

Age of course means very little, it's how healthy you are, I seemed to be fine until I had a heart attack at Fishers Green resulting in a triple bypass and since then I have numerous health problem !!

I also fish for numerous species, but get the most pleasure from chasing Monsters and if I'm going fishing, that's what I like to do.

In the coming months I will be back on a local Trout Reservoir and the group I belong to have a couple of boat fishing trips to look forward to, but I think to be honest it's the loss of my good friend the other year that has mainly contributed to my lack of motivation.

Silly I know, but doing a lot of time in cold conditions without the feedback of a like minded angler can be soul destroying !!

Bob

Bob not silly at all on a much smaller scale if Chubbing after dark with Matthew I am lightly to stay much later if things are hard than if on my own ,I did have a dose of unmotivated yesterday when despite going early to what I thought would be the going Pike swim on the lake nothing sniff zilch and as the day wore on my enthuasiasm died and I left earlier than planed as it just didn't feel right had someone else been there would deffo have stayed.....easy to doubt yourself/choice of swim/bait when on your tod and no one to bounce things off

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Bob not silly at all on a much smaller scale if Chubbing after dark with Matthew I am lightly to stay much later if things are hard than if on my own ,I did have a dose of unmotivated yesterday when despite going early to what I thought would be the going Pike swim on the lake nothing sniff zilch and as the day wore on my enthuasiasm died and I left earlier than planed as it just didn't feel right had someone else been there would deffo have stayed.....easy to doubt yourself/choice of swim/bait when on your tod and no one to bounce things off

JV44,

That is so true, I'm sure we have all lost friends prematurely , but to some extent a fishing friend is different, there is a shared interest that not many non anglers can understand and even within angling the long stay at night in winter conditions angling friend is a rare beast indeed.

Bob

Edited by BobH

I no longer do much UK fishing at this time of the year. I have the occasional winter session in the UK but most of my "winter" fishing takes place aboard.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I thought this thread was about losing the motivation Bob...and the most recent post, 11pm at night, temp -2, and you've only just got in...I think that shows a pretty determined angler for going out in the first place :cold::clap:

Paul,

It might seem that way, but it takes a lot of effort these days to get me fishing in the conditions above, I never use to think about, in fact I positively revelled in the thought of the next trip, now it takes considerable determination to get me fishing on the cold evenings.

Maybe I'm just getting older and more sensible :doh:

Bob

What works for me- and 50 odd years on I still get excited when I set off for the river- is lots of 4-5 hour sessions and an avoidance of single species obsession season long . This last 12months I have targetted trout and salmon on fly, grayling dace and roach by trotting , legering for chub and barbel , plugging and deadbaiting for pike , waggler fishing for tench and bream , dropshotting for perch and pike and stalking carp with floaters. I intend to do more this year.....