Mah Jong / Mahjong

BoozleBear

Do any of you lot play this game?

There is some confusion as there are 2 versions. I am talking about the propper one!

One version is the (imho) dull web game where you remove tiles from a pile.

The other is a game of skill that is similar to a card game (the closest is gin rummy which is dull in comparison), but the 4 players play with tiles off a wall instead. It originated in China and the tiles used to be made from ivory and bamboo. Chinese over the centuries have gambled billions of yen away playing this game.

Dull version looks like this:

post-4843-1157452874_thumb.jpg

Propper version looks like this:

post-4843-1157452920_thumb.jpg

post-4843-1157452953_thumb.jpg

2 questions for you.

1. Anybody else enjoy playing the proper version? I love it! But it doesn't seem many people know it.

2. Anybody know of somewhere you can play the propper version online? Either against computer or real people. I have tried searches but all they come up with are hundreds of versions of the tile pile one, and you know my thoughts on that!

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I used to live in Hong Kong and play the real version!! I think it would be to complex for a decent online version, like u said all the games i have seen a basically a version of snap.

Dan

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

I used to live in Hong Kong and play the real version!! I think it would be to complex for a decent online version, like u said all the games i have seen a basically a version of snap.

Dan

I found one! on mahjongnews.com

Bizare website though, who would think there would be any 'news' on a game that is centuries old!

Played 2 games against other online players, won 1 and then the next was a draw, but no bamboo game after, just everybody awarded 0 points and back to the start. :schmoll:

Still good fun tho.

I found one! on mahjongnews.com

Bizare website though, who would think there would be any 'news' on a game that is centuries old!

Played 2 games against other online players, won 1 and then the next was a draw, but no bamboo game after, just everybody awarded 0 points and back to the start. :schmoll:

Still good fun tho.

Nice one! I'll check it out

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Mmmmm1 Used to play YEARS ago with a friend whilst serving!! But have like most things forgotten how to even set up never mind ruddy play!! But if I hear of anything........ :P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Mmmmm1 Used to play YEARS ago with a friend whilst serving!! But have like most things forgotten how to even set up never mind ruddy play!! But if I hear of anything........ :P

A brilliant game, played by four people. A time waster played as solitaire. Unfortunately, there are no other mahjongg players in town :( . Well, there are only 75 people in our town.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Learnt the game in the RAF during National Service - off a number of chaps who had served in Changi

Still play sometimes - we have an antique set made in Peking (as it then was) - the tiles have ivory faces spliced to bamboo backs.

The way to get really sharp at Mah Jhong is to play against Chinese, Malay or Filipino opposition. It requires a good appraisal of odds of where the tile(s) you want might be - both the raw statistical odds, and the knowledge of what your opponents likely tactics (and hence their discards) might be.

It is possible to play a three-handed version, but the strategy is slightly different then - it is easier to make up sets than with four players, so "washouts" (draws) are less frequent.

For afficiandos - I once won a hand with the special combination known as "Imperial Jade" - have a photo of it somewhere

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Learnt the game in the RAF during National Service - off a number of chaps who had served in Changi

Still play sometimes - we have an antique set made in Peking (as it then was) - the tiles have ivory faces spliced to bamboo backs.

The way to get really sharp at Mah Jhong is to play against Chinese, Malay or Filipino opposition. It requires a good appraisal of odds of where the tile(s) you want might be - both the raw statistical odds, and the knowledge of what your opponents likely tactics (and hence their discards) might be.

It is possible to play a three-handed version, but the strategy is slightly different then - it is easier to make up sets than with four players, so "washouts" (draws) are less frequent.

Indeed. My wife and I like it so much that we will sometimes play with the two of us, and deal out two "dead hands" at the start. It makes it easier but I'd still rather have that than nothing.

I have noticed on the mahjongtime.com site they offer the hong kong and chinese versions. I prefer chinese as in the hong kong version you can have multiple chows (runs of three) in your hand rather than just one (I prefer to try for none as it doubles the points scored!), and multiple chows is too easy imho.

Do any of you lot play this game?

There is some confusion as there are 2 versions. I am talking about the propper one!

One version is the (imho) dull web game where you remove tiles from a pile.

The other is a game of skill that is similar to a card game (the closest is gin rummy which is dull in comparison), but the 4 players play with tiles off a wall instead. It originated in China and the tiles used to be made from ivory and bamboo. Chinese over the centuries have gambled billions of yen away playing this game.

Dull version looks like this:

post-4843-1157452874_thumb.jpg

Propper version looks like this:

post-4843-1157452920_thumb.jpg

post-4843-1157452953_thumb.jpg

2 questions for you.

1. Anybody else enjoy playing the proper version? I love it! But it doesn't seem many people know it.

2. Anybody know of somewhere you can play the propper version online? Either against computer or real people. I have tried searches but all they come up with are hundreds of versions of the tile pile one, and you know my thoughts on that!

Cheers,

Simon

Oh Joy at last my boat comes home!!!!!

No, sorry I do not and cannot play the game BUT.......................

I asked a freind to buy me a nice wooden (boxed) version of the game when he visited Thailand a couple of years ago. I paid very little for a VERY high quality product and gave it to my wife as a Birthday pressie. She also was well impressed but there was one problem, the instructions were in Thai and there was no English translation. Neither of us speak Thai and do not know how to play the game so it's been under the coffee table untouched for ages.

Do you have a set of instructions (English) that you could let me have or point me at a good web site where I can download them????

This is BIG browny points for me, can't wait to see her face.

Ta Muchly in Advance - Phil

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.