Slider Rigs

Ken L

There are several versions of this idea but the simplest version is a bead an swivel that are fixed a meter or so above a grip lead that is cast out into the surfand pulled taught. a livebait is then rigged up and clipped onto the mainline before being slid down to fish at distance without being killed or damaged by casting.

In South Africa, specific spring clips ar designed for this style of fishing but I can't find anything similar here. Any suggestions for a clip that will slide down a mainline and not distort or spring open when playing a big fish ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

There are several versions of this idea but the simplest version is a bead an swivel that are fixed a meter or so above a grip lead that is cast out into the surfand pulled taught. a livebait is then rigged up and clipped onto the mainline before being slid down to fish at distance without being killed or damaged by casting.

In South Africa, specific spring clips ar designed for this style of fishing but I can't find anything similar here. Any suggestions for a clip that will slide down a mainline and not distort or spring open when playing a big fish ?

Hi Dont know of any suppliers in UK but if you check out www.kingfisher.co.za/Swivels.asp there are pictures showing 4 types of non return link. Easy to make they probably will post you some. Used them and they work. Heres a picture of a ROOSTER Fish caught whilst using one. Dave Milne is the angler and Rooster caught July in Costa Rica

regards bronzie

Thanks Bronzie. I actually found the Kingfisher site last night and yes, they are what I (actually a mate who's not a member) am looking for.

It would be nice if there was a UK suplier though.

Out of interest, do you have much trouble getting the bait to run down the line on shallow beaches ?

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

try crane interlock swivels 4.5 quid for 50 ,,,veals mail order ,,,,,,,,

Thanks for the suggestion but with the posibility of big sharks, that style of link isn't going to take the strain. They'd be fine on a straight pull but with the loop being stopped against a bead and the pressure being applied sideways, they'd fold up in no time.

Thanks Bronzie. I actually found the Kingfisher site last night and yes, they are what I (actually a mate who's not a member) am looking for.

It would be nice if there was a UK suplier though.

Out of interest, do you have much trouble getting the bait to run down the line on shallow beaches ?

Hi Ken

No problem with live baits on any beach BUT its a challenge when using big strip or dead baits and need to get the baits out as far as possible. Then its a case of ebbing tide and getting as high as possible ( rocks car roof anything) and violently shaking the rod up and down. Where 14ft rods are really useful. Good anchorage ie 8oz grip lead is a must.

regards bronzie

if your not in a hurry for them Slaphead ( member ) is off to Namibia soon and i am sure he would bring some back for you.

Ken, If I can find them I have some swivels which would be useful for making leads for black bears!!! Any good? I don't have loads!! I also have some Berkley swivels rated at 400Lb+ BS?? Both have clips?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Dont think we have that any big sharks on UK beaches! Be nice though!

This is a really good topic, and one I have been looking at before. I have had a look at the kingfisher site, and was wondering if anyone had any pictures, or could shed any light as to how these are rigged?

The pictures seem to showa second swivel, and unsure as to how the rig fits together.

Cheers

G

B.A.S.S. member

Chris. I think the one way thing might be vecessary where he'll be fishing because otherwise the livebait is likely to get washed back towards the rod on every wave.

Bronzie. I'll pass on the offer.

Toerag. Good idea, I vever thought to check the likes of Bass Pro and Cabelas.