Attenborough Zander?

wesley

I don't believe it! I've caught a 7inch baby zander on No2 pond of the Attenborough nature reserve Nottingham. Now I know why the fishing is so poor, especially if predators like these are now breeding in that water. What thoughts for the future, anyone?.

Edited by wesley

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm facinated with how you equate the poor fishing that you've experienced with the presence of zander.

Presumably, the fish that you are there to target would be roach, bream, tench and carp weighing 10oz or more and thise fish are simply not in any danger from zander no matter how big they are.

The zander are just another species and will slip into the ecosystem with the only overall negative impact caused by their presence being slight reductions in the numbers of pike and perch because there are the species that zander will compeat with for food.

Out of interest, what did you do with the zander ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Wesley - you may well get flamed some with this topic. You have fallen into a trap that seems to be pretty common among lots of UK fresh water anglers.

Preds rely on smaller prey fish to survive. They cannot eat a wide range of things such as carp enjoy so if they prey levels drop, so do the pred levels.

Pike, zander, perch introductions to a water can cause some temporary issues at times (usually not but it can happen). However, things come back into balance pretty quickly.

Blaming a single pred species for poor fishing on a given lake is common enough but reflects a lack of knowledge. The zander might compete with the perch to some extent but that's about all.

Guys - gently, please. I think education rather than bashing is in order here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i'd thought all those resident black sea vultures (cormorants!) would of done more damage to the under 2lb mark of fish,i know the restrictions are a nusiance but they're there too protect all the massive bird population there,which quite a few are divers and can pick up discarded/lost lures ect.the shoals of silverfish have a lot off water to swim around in so locating them isn't allways easy,the zander would of got in from the trent as they are in there not in great numbers but they're there as are catfish so don't be surpised if catfish are reported comming out of the pits.nature will allways find a balance sooner or later.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Wesley - you may well get flamed some with this topic. You have fallen into a trap that seems to be pretty common among lots of UK fresh water anglers.

Preds rely on smaller prey fish to survive. They cannot eat a wide range of things such as carp enjoy so if they prey levels drop, so do the pred levels.

Pike, zander, perch introductions to a water can cause some temporary issues at times (usually not but it can happen). However, things come back into balance pretty quickly.

Blaming a single pred species for poor fishing on a given lake is common enough but reflects a lack of knowledge. The zander might compete with the perch to some extent but that's about all.

Guys - gently, please. I think education rather than bashing is in order here.

I thought that I could smell something Melvin,now that you say trap I see the reason for the restrictions. Sorry if I've upset the "Guy" set, but they usually are gentle with me, as bashing means something else where I come from and I'm well educated toward that end. I'll get me coat. Wesley.

i'd thought all those resident black sea vultures (cormorants!) would of done more damage to the under 2lb mark of fish,i know the restrictions are a nusiance but they're there too protect all the massive bird population there,which quite a few are divers and can pick up discarded/lost lures ect.the shoals of silverfish have a lot off water to swim around in so locating them isn't allways easy,the zander would of got in from the trent as they are in there not in great numbers but they're there as are catfish so don't be surpised if catfish are reported comming out of the pits.nature will allways find a balance sooner or later.

Tell that to the blue whale.