where do mullut migrate in winter

samuel-cox

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

down to the sw aproaches channel islands and i think they also go down into the biscay area, the lads on the channel isles get their best fishing in winter their with big shoals of bigger fish then so i guess thats probably where your thames mullet go.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Mullet stop feeding when the temp drops below around 10c.

Where the water is warm all year round, ie down in the South West, and even up in Scotland where there is warm water from power stations, they stay and feed all through the year.

In colder waters, ie Chichester harbout, divers have come across shoals of mullet, semi-comatose on the bottom (they have been able to handle them!).

So it might be that they just find some sheltered water and lay up for the winter.

(That would explain why the same species takes about 5 years to maturity at around 3lbs in southern European waters, but as long as 10 years in most of our waters - they are only feeding during the warm months)

Then again, some tagged fish have turned up off the coast of France (perhaps a spawning migration? or a French fisherman poaching over our side?)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

This happens every year now in Alderney....

Anglers typically get the mullet on Platte Saline beach at night time while fishing for sole etc. But now they are going down specifically for the mullet.

They get many 6lb fish with some 8s and the odd 10lber each year.

There has already been a 10lb fish to come from there already this year as Mark has mentioned above.

I have have fished a similar method about 6 years ago on the Island of Herm. A few anglers had caught mullet to 10lb 7oz on normal bottom gear so I went at night time with a swim feeder and mullet rod and had an 8lb 6oz fish.

If you want a big mullet then head for Alderney now as the shallow bays are packed with big fish at the moment so you can fish day and night for them - heaven!

Caleb

www.guernseyfishing.com - under construction...