A whale dead after eating crab potts

big_cod

dead-whale.jpg

This picture was taken by one of the crew who are aboard one of the local trawlers he was in my pub yesterday and said did you see the dead whale when you were out on the 9 mile on thursday as i was fishing not far from where they were trawling no i said so he showed me this picture of the dead whale which he took on this phone.

How the hell it had done it but it had swallowed 2 crab pots and sadly had died, there was a massive herring mark close to where the whale was floating may be it was feeding heavily on herring and some how managed to get these 2 pots inside its body, the local potting boat which went to lift its pots on thursday said it hauled the fleet of potts right upto the dead whale and 2 were missing inside the whale with the tow and the flag right next to the dead whale this is quite amazing.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange !!!!

Looks like a Minke Whale with the white patches on its pectoral fins!

Why would a whale eat pots !!!when herring and sprats etc would be the normal food,more likely entangled in the pot ropes!!

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

I think it looks like the whale must have been feeding somewhere near the bottom caught the tow off the pots with his mouth open and just kept going till he swallowed the potts very strange though and has got people wondering just how the hell it managed it .

Blinddog you are right it is a minke whale there is lots of them about feeding amoung the herring i mysely have as many as 3 or 4 some days .

Untitled-1.jpg

A sad sight to see such a majestic creature belly up. A pure accident or was it another desperation to collect food for survival.

Potters have been about for hundreds of years, so this could be just a one off. Or are the whales so desperate, that they are visiting areas, for food that they would normaly stay clear of.

Today we are not used to awfull visions, unless they meet their death, shot with harpoons.

I do hope it is a one off, and not the start of seeing the deeps desperation to survive.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

ban poting!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

A sad sight to see such a majestic creature belly up. A pure accident or was it another desperation to collect food for survival.

Potters have been about for hundreds of years, so this could be just a one off. Or are the whales so desperate, that they are visiting areas, for food that they would normaly stay clear of.

Today we are not used to awfull visions, unless they meet their death, shot with harpoons.

I do hope it is a one off, and not the start of seeing the deeps desperation to survive.

Hi john, these whales appear every year with the large herring shoals its being going on for probably thousands of years through july to october the large herring shoals appear with them come the whales pilot whales, minkys when ever you see whales there is often a large herring shoal very close by, i myself 2 years ago saw something quite spectacular there was roughly 20-30 whales all feeding together among a shoal of herring they were going crazy leaping out of the water it was some sight wish i have had a camera at the time.

Untitled-1.jpg