Hugh Fernly whittingstall (aka River Cottage man)

Marginmaster

Folks,

I know there have been topics on imigrants taking fish for the pot, and I have just read with interest the topic on trapping eels which indicated that a licence was required. So the question is when Hugh FW trapped eels on the stretch of the rother at the bottom of his Garden he did not mention obtaining a licience (not saying he did not have one) and when he took grass carp from the landlords estate lake, transfered them to the rother to clean for a week probably without EA permission, what sort of message is he giving out to our eastern european friends. And all on a prime time TV show.

What do you think....

yes, I dare say hugh did not have an eel trapping licence for the river brit on that programme, i dont think he was doing anything wrong with the grass carp as he keeps it in a bath next to the river brit and therefor isnt transfering the fish to another river. Also he had permission to catch the carp for the table, something which is very different to immigrants.

He could of got in severe grief from the RSPB re keeping the carp in the tank though! Well if its ok for them to prosecute anglers for keeping them in tanks for bait it would surely be the same?

I doubt he had a licence for the eel trap and it was certainly not legal due to it not having an otter guard on the mouth but does it really matter? I wouldnt mind betting the eels in it werent trapped anyway! Its TV entertainment for Christ sake!

As for sending out the wrong message re catching fish for the table....well I think its going to take a bit more than the EA crucifying young Hugh to stop this suggested problem!

All the time we bitch about things like this and Rick Steins eating of a pike we just make ourselves less creditable for fighting the real issues. Didnt really think the PAC needed to have a go but at least they went about it in a diplomatic way which was well recieved by the media.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

He could of got in severe grief from the RSPB re keeping the carp in the tank though! Well if its ok for them to prosecute anglers for keeping them in tanks for bait it would surely be the same?

I doubt he had a licence for the eel trap and it was certainly not legal due to it not having an otter guard on the mouth but does it really matter? I wouldnt mind betting the eels in it werent trapped anyway! Its TV entertainment for Christ sake!

As for sending out the wrong message re catching fish for the table....well I think its going to take a bit more than the EA crucifying young Hugh to stop this suggested problem!

All the time we bitch about things like this and Rick Steins eating of a pike we just make ourselves less creditable for fighting the real issues. Didnt really think the PAC needed to have a go but at least they went about it in a diplomatic way which was well recieved by the media.

Budgie! Keep em coming!!! ranks as the best reply to a post I have seen in ages!! (Took the words RIGHT out of my mouth by the way!! :rolleyes: )

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Why would the RSPB prosecute him? :huh:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

These were filmed some years ago but I am sure Hugh is aware of the rules & regs as he is not only a keen angler himself but Nick Fisher of Screeming Reels fame is a partner in the 'River Cottage' industry.

lyn & Liam 2 River cottage fans :)

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Why would the RSPB prosecute him? :huh:

Dont you remember a few years ago a pike angler who was prosecuted by the RSPCA for keeping a tank of roach in his back garden? Nothing to do with EA rulings on transfer/stocking of fish.Purely the RSPCA prosecuting as it was "cruel" to keep fish in those conditions.Im sure the carp in the "River Cottage" episode would have been deemed the same! Not agreeing with it just reffering to the incident.It attracted a lot of publicity in the pike world when it happened.

I will try and dig up the exact details if anyone is interested?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!