Responibility of Fisheries.

Ferg

Unless the law concerning the rod license has changed. But it use to be the case that you had to produce your rod license to ea officials and police. You had no obligation to produce it to tom dick or harry even if they asked.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Unless the law concerning the rod license has changed. But it use to be the case that you had to produce your rod license to ea officials and police. You had no obligation to produce it to tom dick or harry even if they asked.

My understanding is that you are obliged to produce your licence to any other licence holder who shows you thiers first

Mat

Mat

My understanding is that you are obliged to produce your licence to any other licence holder who shows you thiers first

Mat

Your right Mat.

As ayjay pointed out, it might be OK for enclosed or commercial fisheries. But what about waters run by associations, a few thousand members and 100s of miles of bank space on lakes canals and rivers, you can go and not see another angler all day! Often it entails a hike of a mile or so just to get to the water.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that more and more of the new and younger anglers are only aware of 'commercial' type waters. Many have not even cast a line in a moving water. There is nothing wrong in this, but it does only show a very one sided view of the angling scene. And IMO doesn't bode well for the future of angling :(

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Your right Mat.

As ayjay pointed out, it might be OK for enclosed or commercial fisheries. But what about waters run by associations, a few thousand members and 100s of miles of bank space on lakes canals and rivers, you can go and not see another angler all day! Often it entails a hike of a mile or so just to get to the water.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that more and more of the new and younger anglers are only aware of 'commercial' type waters. Many have not even cast a line in a moving water. There is nothing wrong in this, but it does only show a very one sided view of the angling scene. And IMO doesn't bode well for the future of angling :(

I remember when nearly all clubs made you produce your rod licence before issuing a membership.I have never known a day ticket fishery do this...............doesnt take much to work out why!

No one gives a toss anymore they are just out for them selves.Just a sign of the times in general.

Couldn't agree more guys.

I also think that anyone selling a permit for fishing (day ticket, club book, syndicate ticket) should be able to ask for proof of an EA rod licence first. I couldn't care less if this inconveniences people. It seems better to me to check at source rather than employing a couple of dozen people to run all over the country trying to catch up with those who didn't bother to get one.

Also, to echo Budgie again - the rules should be printed on the back of the rod licence. Anything else is madness.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Although getting fisheries to inspect rod licenses is good in theory, in practice I agree it's unworkable. As has been pointed out day ticket water owners hardly have an incentive to do so, and how do you force them to and how do you police them?

Additionally many clubs and syndicates (including my own at Wingham) have their renewal dates at the same time of year. In my case it's March 1st. If an angler belonged to several clubs and syndicates he wouldn't be able to renew membership of them until he had his licence back from the first club. The result might be the loss of one or more of his tickets.

Having said all this, I applaud Ferg's concern and that of others having a similar view.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I used to belong to a fishing club that had a box on the renewal form for your licence No.

No need to send your licence off.

This was a perfectly workable system. No licence No., no permit.

If I remember rightly, renewal was 1st June. But even if it was 1st March all anglers should have a licence No. on that date.

I really don't see why more clubs cannot do this. (Even commercial fisheries)

I used to belong to a fishing club that had a box on the renewal form for your licence No.

No need to send your licence off.

This was a perfectly workable system. No licence No., no permit.

If I remember rightly, renewal was 1st June. But even if it was 1st March all anglers should have a licence No. on that date.

I really don't see why more clubs cannot do this. (Even commercial fisheries)

An interesting idea!

However how would we know that the number is genuine? It would be a matter of trust of course. As my members are all hand-picked I trust them anyway. At least until I have reason not to......

If there were some quick and easy way of getting verification it might work though. Having said that, membership secretaries have so much work on their hands at renewal time I fear few would use any such facility.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

You're right Steve, it is all down to trust. And the club only had about 150 members. So not a large club by any means. I believe the facility to check numbers is already there. Haven't the EA bailiffs got a gadget that can check a licence No. on the EA computer? As you say though, it would be a lot of extra work at renewal time. Especially for some of the larger clubs.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought there would be many anglers that are members of clubs, that don't have an EA licence. Surely, if you go to all the trouble to join a club, getting a licence is a walk in the park. (or Post Office!)