Smoothest clutch

Guest muttley

after having spent many years travelling around europe after large carp the fixed spool was obviously my number 1 choice of reel. Since starting serious sea angling around 2 years ago the multiplier has reigned supreme. Thing is I have yet to find a multiplier that can touch the drag system of a fixed spool (i use daiwa TS5000T tournament reels by the way) Also no multiplier can beat the retrieve rate of a fixed spool. When uptiding there are real benefits of being able to wind up the bow of line quickly to gain contact. They are obviously no good for deep water,but in the (relativly) shallow water of the thames estuary...why not?

Smoother clutch......Faster retrieve.....Why dont more people use them for uptiding?

Opinions please

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after having spent many years travelling around europe after large carp the fixed spool was obviously my number 1 choice of reel. Since starting serious sea angling around 2 years ago the multiplier has reigned supreme. Thing is I have yet to find a multiplier that can touch the drag system of a fixed spool (i use daiwa TS5000T tournament reels by the way) Also no multiplier can beat the retrieve rate of a fixed spool. When uptiding there are real benefits of being able to wind up the bow of line quickly to gain contact. They are obviously no good for deep water,but in the (relativly) shallow water of the thames estuary...why not?

Smoother clutch......Faster retrieve.....Why dont more people use them for uptiding?

Opinions please

Hi Matt, I tend to agree with you, but, its that 'but' again, big fish, lots of tide and half the weed in the Thames estuary can cause a few problems, even to the better quality reel. One suspects also that time may be against most FS reels, die casting and salt water dont mix, could by cheap and throw away each year?

Just had a look at the Van Staal sight, wow! thats a piece of sculpture, with a price tag to match!

I know you have had a bad experience with Abu's. However, at the risk of being shot down, I will still fly the flag. The standard 7000's even the older ones of which I have 4, do suffer, not so much mechanically if they are Swedish built, but the side plates etc do corrode and the retrieve rate is slow'ish? Original concept a winch with torqu, deep water and big fish in mind.

The 7500, thats a different kettle of fish, I have a pair, higher retrieve rate, with some trade off in the torque/speed stakes, they are chrome finished, again need to be Swedish built, my recommendation is seek out a couple of older 7500 second hand units, treat them like gold, and love them to bits, cos they will become increasingly difficult to find?

Fixed spool = spinning reels as far as we are concerned? One also finds, thicker lines twist easily. Regardless of the super retriever mumbo jumbo dished out, yeah it works to an extent but the laws of mechanics dictate some sort of twist!

Cliff

I got myself a Fin Nor Ahab size 12 for general bait fishing a couple of years back. Easier to get hold of this side of the pond tha the Vanstaal but still not easy. I think they are marketed by Pure Fishing over here.

Drag wise its easily as smooth as the 525 and has a washer at least twice the size. Almost as big as the spool in fact. Its isn't a rear drag either which is a big plus in the salt IMO.

AndyR

I got myself a Fin Nor Ahab size 12 for general bait fishing a couple of years back. Easier to get hold of this side of the pond tha the Vanstaal but still not easy. I think they are marketed by Pure Fishing over here.

Drag wise its easily as smooth as the 525 and has a washer at least twice the size. Almost as big as the spool in fact. Its isn't a rear drag either which is a big plus in the salt IMO.

AndyR

:clap2: Try the Daiwa Saltiga, very smooth clutch, I used it in Costa Rica on Roosterfish but again, not cheap. If you want quality, you have to pay for it. :clap2:

As you know Mat I dont agree with you on this one. A fixed spool drag to my mind cant be as smooth as a multiplyer as the line does not come directly from the spool. The pick up on you big pit reels is fast though and they would dothe job for all you work (with maybe the exception of very large tope).

I find multiplyers are more pleasurable to use but thats just as thats what Im used to.

I expect that Im the exception to the norm as I learnt to cast a multiplyer before I learnt to cast a fixed spool, so this may have some impact on my opinion.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I find multiplyers are more pleasurable to use but thats just as thats what Im used to.

I expect that Im the exception to the norm as I learnt to cast a multiplyer before I learnt to cast a fixed spool, so this may have some impact on my opinion.

I have had the same thoughts as Matt, however, when push comes to shove, I will trust one of my Swedish built old Abu's before a FS. One also echos Same's statement . . . "multipliers are more pleasurable to use", that has to be qualified with the statement . . . 'provided the clutch is good'.

There are some (a lot??) duff MP's on the market, including units from 'respected' brands. A problem may be that we are looking for cheap? and cheap works fine for a while, then the question is asked, and cheap may let you down?

A remember when I bought my first ABU 7000 about 1987, I paid £80 for a second hand reel about 5 or 6 years old. The 'same reel' can now be bought new for less at discount. I'm afraid financially that does not add up? Its our fault, we want a bargain, it applies to so much in our world to day, we live in a throwaway society. Incidentally, I still regularly use that first SH 7000.

Cliff :ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

No reason not to use fixed spool reels when uptide fishing if that is your preferance all sams dads loan out fits used to be fixed spool as I remember with the execption of an old penn squider and theyseemed to work ok.

I have to disagree with you over the retrive issue, although I am a bit out of date as far as fixed spool reels are concerned I think that the retrive on a multiplyer is greater than that of a fixed spool , the term multiplyer refers to the high retrive ratio 1:7 ect ,as for the drag the shimano Tlds have superb drags as do the cullcuttas but I suppose old habbits die hard use what you feel most comfortable with.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

No reason not to use fixed spool reels when uptide fishing if that is your preferance all sams dads loan out fits used to be fixed spool as I remember with the execption of an old penn squider and theyseemed to work ok.

I have to disagree with you over the retrive issue, although I am a bit out of date as far as fixed spool reels are concerned I think that the retrive on a multiplyer is greater than that of a fixed spool , the term multiplyer refers to the high retrive ratio 1:7 ect ,as for the drag the shimano Tlds have superb drags as do the cullcuttas but I suppose old habbits die hard use what you feel most comfortable with.

:yeah: Use what you are comfortable with, 'but' understand the limitations. Some saltwater FS's do seem to have a slow quoted retrieve rate, noticed that myself?? The 5.1/6.1 on faster multipliers will certainly have the lead flying out of the water at the end of a fast retrieve, the rod loads up and ping! had a couple of near misses with novices. A wired lead and 4/0 hook passing the ear at a rate of knots draws some expletives!!! :lol:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Sep 29 2006, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: Try the Daiwa Saltiga, very smooth clutch, I used it in Costa Rica on Roosterfish but again, not cheap. If you want quality, you have to pay for it. :clap2:

I've been using the Saltist 30 this season and it has a brilliant drag as well, I believe it's the same as the Saltiga drag system but around half the price. Performed well with the cod and coalies in Norway, the pollack up here in the far north and the conger at Weymouth.