Trebles

sam-cox

I've got to say that I can't see why treble hooks would be necessary for livebaiting for Bass. We don't use trebles when we livebait for Perch do we sam, so why should we need them for Bass? I've caught quite a few Pike whilst livebaiting for Perch with a single size 4 or 6, and you've caught plenty of Bass on livebaits in the past without feeling the need to use trebles.

I don't hold in with the view that trebles are kinder for the fish either. Trebles are horrible things when you look at them without rose tinted specs. Very rarely is a fish hooked by only one hook on the treble. Most times it's two, and it's not rare at all that three hooks are found to be holding the mouth closed, therefore making unhooking extremely difficult. Lures with more than one treble are not good either. The treble that finds itself outside the fishes mouth often hooks up in the gills, under the chin or worst of all, through an eye.

With a lot of care, fish can be unhooked from trebles without too much damage, but often the inexperienced angler will become flustered and panicky when he sees what a mess he's got to deal with, and will end up ripping the hooks out just to get rid of the problem.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Just back from holiday in Cornwall and all we used on the boat for the Pollack were 5 os with a small joey hooked through the nose.

No problem with missed takes.

Don`t know if I would want to use a treble.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Guest chocolate starfish
Think I would rather use a larger single than a treble.....15/0 stainless o'shaungnessy should do it :)

As above

Over the last few years i have given circle hooks a real go. I realise that they have been debated already on other threads but its worth raising again.

I had a 5lb bass last saturday evening on a whole side of mackerel on a 2/0. I've had bigger fish from the shore and on charter trips on the same hook and I can honestly say that I have not had a deep hooked fish when using them.

They have been used on the Stone for bass with live mack for the last couple of seasons and have started to take over from conventional hooks with live eels and launce also. They work with peeler as well although I found that doing the bait up on a needle with elastic thread and then nicking it in the end somewhere is needed. Squid is fine with a bit of elastic to secure it to the eye a bit.

Have not converted all my plugs to singles yet but tobys are fine. They work for feathers and flies so why not plugs? I just hate it when an undersized fish arives at my feet with the trebles all round its head.

Trebles are on the way out IMO <_<

Hope it helps.

andyR

Have not converted all my plugs to singles yet but tobys are fine. They work for feathers and flies so why not plugs? I just hate it when an undersized fish arives at my feet with the trebles all round its head.

I think the weight of hooks on plugs is much more critical to their action, especially if you're trolling them where the plug has to be perfectly balanced or it'll spin out and skip along the surface instead of wiggling nicely 15ft down like it should do.

But yes, unhooking plugs with trebles is a real pain.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

As above

It would be 'as above', as you're posting from the same computer.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE